- You will manage the finances for our operations in Nigeria, working closely with an external firm of accountants (based in Lagos) who manage our payroll and tax registrations/reporting. Our accounts system is Xero and we try to maintain this daily so that the whole team has visibility of the financial position in each territory.
In particular, you will be responsible for;
- Accounts receivable management: accurate and timely invoicing to all our clients and making follow up on accounts receivables.
- Maintaining a real-time accounts payables ledger that is reflective of credit terms and amounts payable at any given point in time.
- Implementing and enforcing appropriate controls over expenditure.
- Reviewing and seeking approval for reimbursable staff expenses.
- Ensuring proper support documentation and description is included for all expenses, journals and all other entities in the accounting system.
- Monthly analysis and review of departmental costs for presentation of the same to the relevant managers.
- Making Elephant’s payments as per set procedures on the necessary bank and mobile money platforms.
- Bank reconciliations: daily reconciliation of bank accounts including mobile money accounts.
- Accurately prepare and review monthly financial reports, including balance sheet reconciliations, by the 5th working day of each month.
- Work with the external accountants and Head of Finance to review taxes owed and tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirements.
- Enforce proper use of tracking categories during client invoicing and labels during the expensing process to enable measure profitability of contracts and expenses analysis.
- Review payroll computation inclusive of statutory deductions and payment to employees as per stipulated timelines.
- Ensure clients and suppliers contact details are well maintained in Xero.
- Liaise and support external auditors during the statutory and any other external audit.
- Ensure the safety of Elephant Healthcare’s assets by implementing controls, maintaining assets and depreciation registers.
- Support finance operations in other territories need to be basis.
- Attend staff and management meetings to ensure knowledge of the company’s activities.
- Be a partner to all other Elephant Healthcare team members and a champion for Elephant Healthcare`s culture.
Key Performance Indicators;
- Publish management accounts inclusive of balance sheet reconciliations by the 5th of every subsequent month.
- Book third party bills in Xero within 24 hours of receipt of such bills.
- 90% of customer invoices are paid by the due date and 100% within 30 days of the due date.
- Timely submission and payment of relevant taxes.
- Our ideal colleague will be an experienced Finance Controller who is looking for their next challenge. We are looking for someone who can juggle multiple tasks, work to tight deadlines and be comfortable in a remote environment. If this sounds like you, please apply.
Desired attributes include:
- Degree educated in Finance, Accounting or relevant field AND Professional accounting training (CPA/ACCA) is essential
- Experience in accounting software especially Xero would be helpful
- Proven experience as a Finance Controller, Accountant, Bookkeeper or relevant role for 4 to 6 years
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Good working knowledge of MS Office and Google Drive/Sheets/Docs.
Our benefits include:
- 21 days holidays (prorated) + public holidays
- Pension contribution
We have four guiding principles that translate into everything we do:
- Be kind, candid, good-humoured & respectful
- Relentlessly pursue our mission
- Make clear decisions, with data & intuition
- Align, take chances & learn
Our work has an impact and is the sum of all its parts. Whether a product on the frontline of healthcare or an email to a colleague, it all matters. Excellence is in the detail. The detail matters. We respect everything we do.
At Elephant, we know that there is strength in diversity. We know that a diverse workforce increases productivity mitigates risk and encourages innovation. We are a small team but our growth strategy is centred on finding the right person for the right role - attitude and aptitude. That person will be selected regardless of age, socio-economic status, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or sexual preference.
We are inclusive, always. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by equality laws in the places where we operate.