Country Director ( Senegal )
MENNONITE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATES (MEDA)
Management & Business Development
The Country Director (CD) drives MEDA’s strategic, programmatic, and business development results at the country level. The CD represents MEDA's interests in the country and ensures full legal compliance with MEDA’s operations. Depending on MEDA’s operations in a particular country, the CD is responsible for one large-scale economic development program and/or a portfolio of mid-level initiatives. In the latter case, the Country Director would provide management oversight to a dedicated Project Manager(s). Reporting to Regional Director, the CD leads on operationalizing MEDA’s country strategy, which establishes the long-term economic development impact to which MEDA will contribute, geographic and sector focus, the partnerships that are critical to the success of the strategy, and specific project opportunities through the which the long-term program will be operationalized. The Country Director leads MEDA’s partnership and new business development in the country, building strategic relationships and policy engagements that will be key to delivering sustainable development impact. The Country Director will drive business development for Senegal and will lead another initiative in Mali worth over 2 million CAD, funded by the Canadian Government and expected to be signed in February 2023.
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Management level
- Experience Length:10 years
Strategy, Partnership, policy engagement, and Business Development: 20%
- Responsible for executing MEDA’s country strategy and ensuring alignment with regional and/or corporate strategies
- Raise MEDA’s profile in the country and contribute to the positioning of MEDA as a leader in building transformative agri-food market systems that create decent work among development stakeholders, including public, private, civil society, and INGO actors.
- Identify and foster partnerships with agri-food market actors to co-create long-term impact-focused initiatives that align with MEDA’s overall strategy and with the development aims of the country
- Prepare regular intelligence briefings to inform MEDA’s country strategy and partnership and business development activities in country
- Support proposal development processes, play a leadership role in programmatic design
Project Management & Leadership: 60%
- Lead country teams with full accountability for portfolio results
- Prepare and/or review and approve annual work plans and budgets, track and manage performance against targets, actively manage variances, and identify areas for improvement or adaptation.
- Ensure implementation adheres to donor contractual requirements, MEDA’s strategic objectives, and MEDA’s policy and procedures.
- Ensure timely preparation, review, and submission of financial and narrative reports
- Provide oversight to project finance systems and processes including the review and authorization of transactions, observing strong financial controls, and minimizing exposure to risk
- Ensuring effective and efficient management of project’s planning, monitoring, evaluation, performance, and reporting requirements and timelines
- Active management of client, subcontractor, and direct/indirect partner relationships
- Lead and manage the performance of staff ensuring the acquisition, retention, and development of a strong team
- Communicate the overall objectives of the long-term program so that each staff member aligns her/his work accordingly
- Communicate with program management, technical, human capital, finance, and legal staff based in North America to ensure effective project implementation
Representation and Compliance Management: 20%
- Act as MEDA’s in-country representative for financial, legal, and key relationship management matters
- Ensure country operations are compliant with local laws, the Project Contribution Agreement, and MEDA’s policies, procedures, and standards in coordination with MEDA Finance, Legal, and Human Capital
- Implement MEDA security protocols
- A bilingual individual (French and English) is preferred.
- Fluency (written and verbal) in English is required
- Proficiency in regional languages is an asset
- Strong technical skills with a background in agronomy/agriculture or agro-economy and project management are required.
- A good understanding of market systems as well as competence in finance/accounting is also required.
- Minimum academic qualification of a University degree (ideally a Masters) in International Development, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Proven track record of at least ten years of senior-level leadership and management of complex, large-scale, multi-million dollar economic and enterprise development initiatives (or similar private sector experience).
- Experience in strategic planning, proposal development, convening multiple stakeholders for collaborative achievement, and guiding multiple working groups toward a unified goal.
- Project and professional management experience, staff management experience, overseas and/or international experience relevant to the region, experience with donors, bi- and multilateral government agencies, relevant government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and other development agencies.
- Experience/expertise in at least one of MEDA’s areas of technical focus, including market systems, investment, vulnerable populations, financial services, blended finance, SME financial services, and environment/climate change.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision, and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development, and MEDA’s approach to creating business solutions to poverty
- Excellent skills in relationship management, including building relationships, networking and presentation, negotiation, and interpersonal communication
- Proven team leadership abilities with a multiple field office environment and relationships with North American-based HQ specialists and management
- Functional experience in marketing, business planning, business growth advisory service, or related areas
- Direct private sector experience is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders into partnerships and alliances, lead and facilitate collaborative processes
- Demonstrated donor relations reporting, relationship management, and ability to monitor grants
- Excellent report writing and review skills
Location: Tambacounda, Senegal.
- Candidates from surrounding cities can also apply.
- The Role is open to only citizens or permanent residents of Senegal, also citizens who currently reside outside Senegal but who are open to relocation are also acceptable. The success of the project and an expansion in the portfolio may lead to the relocation of the Country Director from Tambacouda to Dakar.
Remuneration: USD $50,000/ CAD 70,000 annual gross salary.
- A one-off flat relocation allowance of 750,000 XOF is payable to candidates who are hired from outside Tambacouda.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.