Strategy Implementation and Execution
- Ensure the formulation and effective implementation of HR strategies to identify, select, hire and retain the best talent to meet the company’s manpower needs and ensure optimal staffing levels at all times
- Ensure the design and implementation of need-based, cost-effective learning and development strategies to support the company’s business goals and improve the performance of the company
- Oversee articulation and implementation of the company’s succession and career management strategy
- Facilitate the development and implementation of remuneration and reward policies and practices that will ensure the company’s market competitiveness, employee satisfaction and well-being.
- Ensure the formulation and implementation of an effective performance management system that is objective, equitable, transparent and merit-driven
- Oversee the completion of key administrative HR processes (e.g., staff contracts, holidays, general work permit issues payroll, benefits, relocation management, terminations etc.) to ensure effectiveness and accuracy in implementation and execution
- Manage and oversee the company’s recruitment process for key management positions
- Ensure company compliance with labour regulations.
- Provide advice on conflict management and lead specific HR projects in the company
- Provide counsel on HR perspectives and requirements related to all HR issues to managers and staff.
- Develop corporate strategies that help identify and research in-depth into human resources issues that impact the company
- Provide information, analysis, and recommendations to the company’s strategic thinking and direction; establishing human resources objectives in line with the organizational objectives
- Ensure effective implementation of the human resources strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning
- Oversee the recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counselling, and disciplinary process for staff
- Ensure adequate efforts are channelled into planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing staff job contributions; maintaining compensation; determining production, and productivity
- Develop human resource financial strategies by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning monetary resources; developing action plans; measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances
- Provide direction for management and employee actions by conducting extensive research, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values
- Enforce compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; and advising management on required action points
- Keep abreast with industry trends by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional organizations
Administering Compensation and Benefit Plans
- Promote HR programs to create an efficient and conflict-free workplace.
- Gather and analyze data with useful HR metrics, like time to hire and employee turnover rates.
- Supervise the maintenance of employee files and records in electronic and paper forms.
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying for new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities.
- Represent the company in all external Human Resources Forum.
- Ensure the insurance and security of personnel
Leadership/ People Management
- Direct, manage, develop and supervise the HR and administration teams to achieve departmental goals and objectives
- Facilitate special project results by identifying and clarifying issues and priorities; communicating and coordinating requirements; expediting fulfilment; evaluating milestone accomplishments; evaluating optional courses of action; and changing assumptions and direction
- Lead and manage the company’s Industrial Relations policies and practices to enable employee engagement, productivity and legal compliance
- Provide strategic advice to Executive Management on all HR related issues
- Lead and represent the company at union meeting including salary negotiations.
Key Performance Indicators
Strategic Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement a new strategy.
- Number of successfully implemented initiatives/ strategies
- At least two training programs a year for all staff on a rotational basis including in-house
- Review and roll out of performance management system to all staff
- Develop and conduct an employee survey
- Review Staff policies and procedures in place and communicated to all staff
- Develop Staff productivity measures/tools
- Increase in employee engagement
- Increase in customer satisfaction
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, Human Resource Management, Sociology, Business Administration or business-related discipline
- An MBA or relevant Master's degree in any business-related discipline
- Relevant professional certifications such as Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM), Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), Society for Human Resource Management
- Minimum of 8 years post-graduation experience in Human Resources
- 4 years in top/senior management positions
- Experience in the shipping and logistics industry/sector would be added advantage
- In-depth knowledge of Local labor laws and regulations
- Knowledge of Global best practices in HRM
- Experience in using modern HR Software
- Knowledge of existing operations, laws and practices
- In-depth knowledge of HR Employee Engagement
- Personal development tools and methodologies
- Training methods and evaluation
- Performance management tools
- Knowledge of Recruitment practices
- Compensation and benefit computation
- Payroll preparation and reporting
- Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Leadership and People Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Exceptional communication skills (Written and Oral)
- Conflict Management/ Resolution
- Analytical and Problem-Solving skills
- Planning and Organization skills
- Judgement and Decision-Making skills
- Negotiation and Influencing skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- High sense of integrity and confidentiality
- Business Acumen
- Attention to detail