Group Managing Director
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties)
Development of the Human Resources Department
• Oversees the implementation of Human Resources programs through Human Resources staff. Monitors administration to established standards and procedures for all the subsidiaries. Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves any discrepancies.
• Conducts a continuing study of all Human Resources policies, programs, and practices to keep management informed of new developments.
• Establishes departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of the company's strategic goals.
• Oversees and manages the corporate services department.
• Directs the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
• Develops and administers programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
• Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings across the subsidiaries. Training and Development
• Defines all Human Resources training programs, and assigns the authority/responsibility of Human Resources and managers within those programs.
• Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs.
• Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses the Group training needs including training needs assessment, new employee orientation or onboarding, management development, cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfer.
• Assists managers with the selection and contracting of external training programs and consultants.
• Assists with the development of and monitors the spending of the corporate training budget.
• Establishes and leads the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior workforce for the Group.
• Interviews management- and executive-level candidates; serves as an interviewer for position finalists.
• Chairs any employee selection committees or meetings.
• Formulates and recommends Human Resources policies and objectives for the company with regards to employee relations.
• Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
• Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
• Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
• Monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company. Monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non performing employees.
• Reviews, guides, and approves management recommendations for employment terminations.
• Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor reporting requirements.
• Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws.
• Protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
• Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain staff.
• Monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment. Organizational Development
• Designs, directs and manages a company-wide process of organization development that addresses issues such as succession planning, superior workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management.
• Manages employee communication and feedback through such avenues as company meetings, suggestion programs, employee satisfaction surveys, newsletters, employee focus groups, and one-on-one meetings.
• Directs a process of organizational planning that evaluates company structure, job design, and personnel forecasting.
• Identifies and monitors the organization's culture so that it supports the attainment of the company's goals and promotes employee satisfaction.
• Leads a process of organization development that plans, communicates, and integrates the results of strategic planning throughout the Group.
• Keeps the GMD and the executive team informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of company goals, and those that are not being addressed adequately at the line management level.
• Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Group Managing Director.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum)
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Management or any related field.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (Minimum number of years)
▪ 12 plus years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions and at least 6 years in a management position.
▪ Experience preferably in a high growth consumer-centric organization with proven capability in strategically partnering with leaders to build a work environment that is reflective of a high performing and engaged workforce.
▪ Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, and training and development.
▪ Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant on the executive management team that provides company leadership and direction.
▪ Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the company Board of Directors. ▪ General knowledge of various employment laws and practices.
▪ Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS (Professional exams, members of relevant professional associations etc..)
▪ SPHRI or GPHRI
▪ A Masters degree will be an added advantage
REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES (technical and soft skills)
• Excellent communication skills.
• Highly organized.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.