The wealth reporter will write a combination of short-form articles and longer, photo-driven features. The position is remote, but may present the opportunity for some travel within Africa for originally reported and photographed pieces. The candidate should be excited by the opportunity to tell a story, and will have a keen eye for news about ultra wealthy Africans from Algeria to Zimbabwe.
The reporter will create a database of UHNWIs in Africa – Africans with a demonstrable net worth of $40 million or more – and keep daily tabs on their economic activities and report on same. They will introduce our readers to the personalities behind the money. They will have familiarity with the wealthiest families on the continent, with strategies for how to cover and track rising wealthy Africans across all sectors.
The ideal candidate has a business journalist’s rolodex and fact-finding chops, combined with a Wealth writer’s eye for the changing tides of net worth. Our candidate should have a strong background in financial journalism, with a background in economics and finance.
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualities:
- A keen eye for news and audience trends.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills – particularly the ability to churn out 300-word articles within 30 minutes.
- An ability to sniff out under-reported UHNWIs from Algeria to Zimbabwe
- Experience in media and journalism through having worked in media or worked closely in media.
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation and stakeholder management skills.
- An interest in learning about any topic from business and industry related issues to new technologies.
- An ability to identify the heart of a story quicklyExperience working in a newsroomFamiliarity with SEO practices
- Strong research and project management skills.
- An understanding of how readers consume news digitally
- The ability to pitch a variety of stories, including quicker news hits and longer features.
- The passion to go the extra mile to deliver stories for our readers that they can’t find anywhere else.
- A proven track record of cultivating a diverse range of sources.
In this role the reporter would be expected to:
- Deliver daily coverage of the activities of African UHNWIs and the companies they control
- Monitor corporate, economic and financial events across Africa involving the UHNWIs such as M&As and philanthropy
- Identify, lead and manage new and creative daily content, stories and formats
- Champion multimedia content and as a medium of distribution
- Ensure content meets quality standards