Unilever is currently hiring for Assistant Legal Counsel
Work Level: Work Level 1
Reports to: Legal Counsel, Nigeria
Location : Lagos, Nigeria
Terms & Conditions: Full Time
With billion people in over 190 countries using our products every day, Unilever is a business that makes a real impact on the world. Work on brands that are loved and improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. We are driven by our purpose: to make sustainable living commonplace, and it is our belief that doing business the right way drives superior performance. At the heart of what we do is our people â we believe that when our people work with purpose, we will create a better business and a better world.Â
At Unilever, your career will be a unique journey, grounded in our inclusive, collaborative, and flexible working environment. We donât believe in the âone size fits allâ approach and instead we will equip you with the tools you need to shape your own future.
Unilever is the place where you can bring your purpose to life with the work that you do â creating a better business and a better world. If you are willing to support the site SHE Coordinator to implement systems to reduce Occupational Health and Safety risk by the creation and maintenance of an effective SHE management system to identify and adequately control all significant occupational health, safety and environment risks, ensure compliance with Unilever policy and standards and all applicable regulatory requirements and drive continuous improvement., then this role is for you!
WHAT WILL YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES BETo support the Legal Counsel as business partner to the national Leadership Team and functional Teams with responsibility for delivering timely, competent and efficient legal services. To provide legal counsel and advice to the Business in an integrated service, to pro-actively scan for legal risks to identify, avoid, mitigate or manage them and drive proactive response to legal trends which may affect the business. To act as the local legal point of contact to the Nigeria Legal and Category Legal teams in respect of all national issues and any incidental matters thereto. To support and work effectively in conjunction with all applicable elements of the regional legal function, including category, corporate and trademark counsels. To manage all local corporate and category legal issues in an efficient and effective manner and deliver an integrated service to Unilever Nigeriaâs business, meeting their legal business needs in a competitive and demanding environment. To provide effective interaction with, and management of external counsel and other third parties as relevant in Unilever Nigeria. To organize and attend statutory meetings of the Company, the Board Of Directors and its Committees, rendering all necessary legal/ Secretarial services and advising on compliance by the meetings with applicable laws and regulations. To maintain Company Registers and other records prescribed by law. To render proper returns and give notification to the Corporate Affairs Commission under the Companies Act. To carry out such administrative and other secretarial duties as directed by the Directors or the Company. To facilitate the Board and Management to implement the Code of Corporate Governance and develop good corporate governance practices and cultureÂ To co-ordinate the orientation and training of directors To compile Board papers and ensure that the Boardâs discussions and decisions are clearly and properly recorded and communicated to the relevant persons To notify Board members of matters that warrant their attention and action
1. Legal AdvisoryIn consultation with the General Counsel, to provide legal advice to Functional and category teams as required from time to time. Provide guidance on the appropriate steps to take when issues arise which have legal implications on the business.Â
2. Commercial contracts and documentationParticipate in the negotiation, drafting/review, and approval of all material contracts. Ensure that all key Unilever contracts are legally compliant and Unilever interests are adequately safeguarded. Ensure that contracts are properly documented, executed, and recorded for safekeeping.
3. Category supportBe the one stop single point of contact for collation of information and advice for competitorâs challenges in Unilever Nigeria. Support all brand building activities work for the category in Unilever Nigeria, including advising on all local advertising copy/scripts, etc.
4. Legal complianceMonitor changes to law and promptly inform all relevant Teams of the changes and provide suggestions on how to meet any change in the legal requirements. Ensure that all permits, licences and the like are valid and that conditions are complied with.
5. Litigation supportBe actively involved in potential litigation and ensure that Unileverâs interest is protected.
6. General Legal dutiesAssist, coordinate and be involved in mergers, disposals, strategic alliances, acquisitions of Unilever companies or joint ventures. Participate, assist and liase with national and corporate functional departments on merger, disposal, acquisition matters, technical service fee agreements, brand development matters, licensing, and assignments as well as in dealing with third parties in matters of conflict and settlement. Maintain good relationships with central and local government authorities and agencies that are relevant to Unilever business interests, and which are within the remit of the legal department. Manage legal implications of consumer complaints.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
Essential, Experiences & QualificationsLLB BL At least 3-5 years relevant post-call experience. Proven knowledge and experience in commercial law & practice. Good understanding and working knowledge of corporate law, competition law, intellectual property law, Nigeria laws and regulations, company secretary experience and related disciplines. Ability to co-ordinate transactional work. Good team player having ability to work as a business Partner within an opco and with other sub-regional and regional lawyers. Excellent communication skills (oral & written) Negotiation skills. Good Analytical skills Attention to details
Key InterfaceFunctional Teams Category Teams External Counsel Securities & Exchange Commission Nigeria Stock Exchange Corporate Affairs Commission Registrars. Unilever Nigeria Board of Directors Unilever Nigeria Audit Committee Members Unilever Nigeria Shareholders
Secretarial clerk/admin staff
LeadershipYou are energized by delivering fantastic results. You are an example to others â both your results and your resilience. You are constantly on the lookout for better ways to do things, engaging and collaborating with others along the way. As an individual you are the one responsible for your own wellbeing and delivering high standards of work. You must also focus on the Consumer and what they need. You are humble and have your head up, looking around to interpret evidence and data smartly, spot issues and opportunities to make things better. Critical SOL (Standards of Leadership) Behaviors PASSION FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE: Takes personal responsibility and accountability for execution and results. Has an ownerâs mindset, using data and insight to make decisions. PERSONAL MASTERY: Sets high standards for themselves. Actively builds own wellbeing and resilience. CONSUMER LOVE : Whatever their role, always looks for better ways to serve consumers. Invests time inside and outside to understand the needs of consumers. PURPOSE & SERVICE : Has humility, understanding that leadership is service to others, inside and outside Unilever. AGILITY : Explores the world around them, continually learning and developing their skills.
Unilever embraces diversity and encourages applicants from all walks of life! This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.Â
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.