and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
A solid protection background on alternative to camp and out-of camp approach, including knowledge and good background in settlement contexts, familiarity with engaging with local actors and government partners.
The individual must have excellent skills in community-based protection, accountability to affected populations, community mobilization, general protection, case management skills, education, child protection, gender equality and application of the Age, Gender and Diversity Policy.
The individual should demonstrate his/her ability to work with community-based organizations including refugee led organizations.
Operational experience in refugee and IDP situations, and familiarity with inter-agency coordination mechanisms and working in multi-functional teams would be helpful. The applicant should be able to demonstrate leadership, good communication skills and enhance team cohesion.
Community engagement approaches with the different community members in settlements, host communities as well as networking skills with government counterparts within the area of operation, to ensure peaceful co-existence among refugees and nationals is crucial.
Excellent oral and written communication skills including good drafting and reporting skills.
Considering the highly sensitive environment in which UNHCR operates in Nigeria, the incumbent should possess strong political awareness, analytical and diplomatic skills, and exhibit good judgment and protection aptitude. S/he should have strong interpersonal and team skills to be able to work harmoniously in a difficult living and working environment.
The incumbent will have supervisory role for some of the national protection staff and should have management skills, be able to provide guidance and coaching to staff as well as be able to provide guidance to partners. The individual would also be responsible for providing support to Field Offices and Filed Units under the Sub Office, and would act as back-up in the absence of the Senior Protection Officer and should therefore demonstrate good protection skills and knowledge, with the ability to guide and provide support to other protection colleagues and sector leads.
For the successful implementation of tasks, the incumbent should be equipped to exercise a high degree of flexibility, creativity, patience and adaptability.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position
The incumbent will have a supervisory role for some of the national protection staff and will be required to provide guidance and coaching to staff as well as be able to provide guidance to partners. The individual would also be responsible for providing support to Field Offices and Filed Units under the Sub Office and would act as back-up in the absence of the Senior Protection Officer.
The position will require engagement with community-based organizations including refugee led organizations.
Living and Working Conditions
The duty station Ogoja hardship classification is 'D '. A to E duty stations are rated on a scale that assesses the difficulty of working and living conditions from A to E, with A being the least and E, the most difficult. Categories are arrived at through an assessment of the following six discrete factors: health, security, local conditions, isolation, climate and housing.
This assumes that staff members and their families can live in Ogoja safely and have access to basic social and economic infrastructures in the difficult living conditions:
- basic medical facilities exist in Ogoja to manage/stabilize urgent cases (for 24h) before evacuation to Calabar (5h drive)/Enugu (3h drive) and then to Abuja/Lagos as needed.
- Ogoja is small-town like everyone knows each other, especially staff of the United Nations. They can easily become a target to kidnap with a ransom. There are no safe public transports nor taxis.
- Because of the occurrence of security incidents and very limited safe housing options, the international staff has been requested to live in a designated place. International recruited staff live in a UN shared guest house protected by armed personnel. Ogoja has no electricity and relay on generators for those who can afford it.
- The nearest airports are a 3.5-hour drive to Enugu (1 international flight only) or a 5-hour drive to Calabar (domestic flights). The capital Abuja is a 9-hour drive away. Enugu and Calabar are the closet locations away from the duty station which provides a change of scene in terms of isolation, local conditions, or relief from other adverse factors. The office facilitates the movement of staff at Enugu 2 times a month, to make purchases, see a doctor if necessary and change the environment.
- Ogoja is not connected to most internet services providers making it difficult to communicate domestically and internationally. There are days where there is no network. UN office and UN guesthouse have a WIFI. There is no functioning courier service are available only in Calabar or Enugu.
CL-Camp Coordination and Camp Management, FO-Complex field emergency operations, HR-Career Counselling, Coaching and DevelopmentBachelor of Arts (BA): Anthropology, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Cultural Studies, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Human Rights, Bachelor of Arts (BA): International Development, Bachelor of Arts (BA): International Law, Bachelor of Arts (BA): International Social Work, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Political Science, Bachelor of Arts (BA): Social ScienceAnnual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Working with Persons of Concern: Internally Displaced Persons, Working with Persons of Concern: Refugees, Working with Persons of Concern: Returned IDPs, Working with Persons of Concern: Returned Refugees, Working with Persons of Concern: Stateless
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Add. 1 to Bi-annual Compendium 2023 - Part B
This position doesn't require a functional clearance
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.