The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) is a worldwide network of professionals in international business development (IBD) working to advance Canadian commercial and economic interests abroad. Working under the general direction of the Senior Trade Commissioner at the High Commission in Abuja, the position contributes to the delivery of the mission’s IBD program by delivering services to Canadian companies doing business in Nigeria. Trade Commissioner services are delivered in accordance with TCS policies and guidelines, and broader Government of Canada priorities for international trade, investment, and innovation.
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
This IBD Trade Officer position is responsible for the Clean Technologies sector as well as other reactive trade sectors, and will:
- Promote trade, investment, and innovation collaboration between Canada and the countries of responsibility (Nigeria, Sao Tome, and Principe, and Equatorial Guinee);
- Disseminate market intelligence and business leads to Canadian clients in selected priority sectors;
- Conduct research and analysis, and formulate strategic advice for senior management and clients to enhance Canadian competitiveness in local markets;
- Develop and maintain a network of key local business and government contacts;
- Plan, organize, and deliver promotional events and activities in support of Canadian clients; and,
- Participate at trade shows and advocate for Canadian commercial interests.
Note: The work and activities of all Government of Canada employees are governed by the Government of Canada’s Code of Values and Ethics.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language*, and experience. Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications. *Language will be assessed further during the process.
- Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Degree from a recognized university in a field related to the position, including but not limited to commerce, international business, finance, and economics.
- Language: Fluency in English (written and oral)
- A minimum of five years of recent* and direct experience in business development, and/or foreign direct investment attraction, including directly managing client relationships and providing service support to customers/clients; developing and managing networks with clients, partners, and/or stakeholders; researching and analyzing economic and commercial data and trends; and, providing strategic advice, briefings and reports to management and/or clients on business issues.
Recent experience is defined as a minimum of five (5) years within the last 8 years.
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are related to knowledge, abilities, and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded/live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations, and/or psychometric assessment.
- International business development practices, including excellence in client service delivery, global supply chain management, competitive intelligence gathering, and general project management principles;
- Nigerian and global industry trends and developments in the deployment of clean technologies and climate finance and a variety of priority or emerging sectors, including the political-economic environment and local business practices.
- Knowledge of Nigerian government policies and programs, including trade, investment, and innovation policies, programs, and institutions, including the local political and economic environment, business climate, and government structure.
- Demonstrates integrity and respect
- Thinks things through
- Works effectively with others
- Shows initiative and is action-oriented
- Effective interactive communication in English – Spoken and Written;
- Secure, prepare for, conduct, and provide follow-up to an outcall;
- Build and sustain a network of contacts;
- Analyze information and provide strategic advice;
- Promotional and marketing skills for products or services;
- Effectively use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook Mail), and web search engines.
Remuneration: NGN 23,237,112 per annum and benefits (as per Terms of Conditions of Employment for Locally-Engaged Staff)
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.