Global Fishing Watch
Software & Data
The Junior Data Scientist will play a key role on the Research and Innovation team by coordinating the team’s engagement with the research community. In this capacity, they will organize workshops, webinars, brainstorming sessions, and other engagements that foster collaboration between GFW and leading experts on critical ocean issues.
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:2 years
- Coordinate engagement with GFW research partners by managing communications, organizing workshops, and tracking projects and impacts.
- Outreach designed to assist partners and the public with accessing and understanding GFW data, including developing webinars, tutorials, and code libraries.
- Provide data science capacity, such as developing queries, models, and visualizations that support novel research projects for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Provide technical support for developing, advancing, and publishing GFW datasets.
- Analyze large amounts of data from various sources, such as vessel activity, identity, and satellite imagery to identify trends, anomalies, and insights.
- Assist with data labeling to expand and improve training datasets.
- Quality assurance of key data pipelines and research tables and coordinating their effective use by internal teams and external partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, ecology, or a related field
- Highly organized, analytical, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Experience engaging with academic researchers
- Demonstrated experience and data science skills with Python or R
- Ability to work with large datasets and visualize data effectively
- Experience with version control software and collaboration tools such as git and GitHub
- Ability to work efficiently to a very high standard of detail while managing multiple priorities
- Willingness to take ownership of projects and effectively communicate updates in a transparent and proactive manner
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.