The Ideal Candidate
- The COO will work to implement strategy and vision, build the Slum2School Africa’s culture, and serve as a key member of the senior management team. The COO will work systematically to meet Slum2School's goals by addressing key staffing, process, and infrastructure issues.
- The COO will take Slum2School's priorities and direction and translate them into day-to-day standard operating procedures. He or she will monitor and assess ongoing strategies, conduct mid-course corrections, and generally keep the senior leadership team informed of Slum2School's operations, including how its finances, technology, staffing relate to important goals.
- The COO will offer oversight to hire and will partner with the Head of Finance to prepare budgets and forecasts and will play a formative role in building the culture of Slum2School around community service, accountability and results.
- The COO provides oversight for the training, mentoring, and capacity building at Slum2School. He or she will be an internal advocate for efficiency, productivity, and professional development.
- Serve as second-in-command to the Executive Director and as a member of the Senior Management Team;
- Provide cross-departmental direction and leadership for staff management and program development.
- Establish efficient internal structure and processes required to meet objectives and manage day-to-day operations including program tracking, program evaluation, and communication.
- Participate in the strategic planning process and oversee all operations daily and report directly to the ED, ensuring that all programs and organizational operations are smooth and efficient.
- Provide oversight for Slum2School's budget, development and external relations activities;
- Create an environment of teamwork, appreciation, and recognition
- Run internal staff meetings including preparing agendas and troubleshooting internal management issues.
- Work with the Administrative Department to manage human resources including establishing and determining employee benefits, internal policies, hiring, drafting of job descriptions, performance reviews, and payroll.
- Assist the ED, Head of Finance, and Head of Partnerships and Fundraising in the development of sustainable financial management and reporting strategies and in the refinement of a set of management metrics to predict outcomes.
- Identify opportunities for organizational and programmatic growth.
- Build and cultivate a high-performing senior management team and play an active role in attracting, retaining, and developing a best-in-class staff;
- Identify and implement cost-effective ways to deliver state-of-the-art programs to clients;
- Participate in identifying and cultivating corporate, individual, and international sponsors;
- Cultivate excellent relationships with local/International media; provide oversight for Slum2School's presence in the media;
- Work collaboratively with the ED, Board/Board Committees, to ensure that Board goals filter into day-to-day management;
- Serve as a public representative of Slum2School, in the absence of the ED, keeping Slum2School current and an active participant in regional and community events.
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for Slum2School’s mission and an unwavering commitment to making Slum2School a high-performing Pan-African Development organization.
- 5+ years of operational, senior-level management, and financial management experience in a for-profit business or relevant non-profit organization.
- MBA or relevant graduate degree in management, public administration, education administration, or a related field.
- Self-starter who takes initiative, using sound, independent judgment, and discretion, and seeks guidance and feedback where appropriate – a doer as well as a manager.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; highly organized with concern for detail and a commitment to rigor.
- Demonstrated experience with scaling up organizational programs and infrastructure.
- Experience with creating and leading a diverse and energetic staff, including an ability to motivate individuals and foster team spirit.
- Knowledge of human resources and experience setting individual and team performance goals and evaluating their execution.
- Knowledge of risk management and the ability to develop effective risk-management strategies.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art organizational development tools.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple teams, departments, and projects simultaneously.
- Professionalism, empathy, and the ability to work as part of a team, maintain a sense of humor, and interact with a diverse array of people from all walks of life.
Opportunity closing date: June 4, 2021