- Execute and improve the institution’s governance through offering valuable input to Governance, Risk, Compliance (GRC) and other risk management tools;
- Execute and positively contribute to the performance of risk-based audit activities on the ECOWAS institutions and Agencies as will be instructed;
- Prepare, document audit process, present objective reports that reflect audit results, make reasonable and objective recommendations on the systems and procedures being reviewed, and monitor management’s response and implementation;
- Assist in the coordination of audit activities as per the Internal Audit Charter and Internal Audit Manual;
- Ensure the timely completion of internal audit engagements;
- Record, compile, and summarise all findings related to audit programs in audit files for review by a supervisor;
- Conduct follow up audits to monitor management’s interventions;
- Improve or adapt as needed audit programs in accordance with the annual audit plan;
- Engage in continuous knowledge development regarding sector’s rules, regulations, best practices, tools, techniques and performance standards;
- Ensure that professional internal auditing standards are followed in line with best practices;
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field from a recognized University.
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in audit, finance, accounting, administration, statistics;
- Experience in public sector auditing or related area is desirable;
- Knowledge of auditing standards and practices, risk assessment, and applicable financial rules and procedures particularly Governance, Risk, Compliance (GRC) tools;
- Knowledge and experience of auditing in an ERP environment (SAP for instance) and using specialized IT audit applications;
- Demonstrated cognitive knowledge of specialized audit applications in a variety of disciplines and of best practices regarding performance standards;
- Demonstrated in-depth technical knowledge and hands-on experience in the field of auditing;
- Knowledge and experience of auditing in an ERP environment such as SAP and using specialized IT audit applications;
- Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), or equivalent will be an added advantage.
Age Limit: The candidate must be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to provide suggestions based on own observations that will improve the way work is accomplished and confidently lead on their implementation as requested;
- Experience working effectively as a team member, mentoring teams and occasionally leading on discussions and/or replacing other leading roles as required;
- Ability to support the team by keeping abreast of the team’s initiatives, events, and needs, assisting team leaders as required;
- Ability to work under pressure and be dependable for results;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance and to regularly and independently engage in self-assessment activities
- Ability to develop and maintain skills and expertise required to perform in the role effectively
- Excellent work ethics, positivity, motivation, flexibility, and problem-solving skills to carry out tasks associated with the position;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve semi-routine problems and make recommendations to improve the quality/quantity of services to clients;
- Ardent desire to help others in a variety of circumstances of relevance to own work area and to refer to the appropriate person for further assistance as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team in articulating the needs of clients ;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and meet service standards and objectives related to assigned responsibilities.
- Understands how to access internal resources or services to enhance cultural awareness and actively seeks to improve multicultural skills when interacting with others with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, especially within West Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests, and concerns and to understand, internalize and develop diversity management skills in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviors;
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organizations mandate and its functions, particularly those of own institution/agency;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities and work tools;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards for emailing and other routine tasks and to keep records, and information pertaining to assigned work in accordance with rules and regulations;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS procedures relevant to tasks and demonstrate understanding of associated systems, processes, rules, and/or standards sufficiently to explain their necessity and to identify errors and consequences.
- Numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data following clear and simple instructions;
- Ability to be innovative with established procedures with a view of improving performance and/or outputs;
- Ability to detect and correct errors and to keep accurate records of simple indicators/information;
- Ability to gather and arrange information and data in a simple and understandable manner.
- Ability to provide accurate and complete information to supervisor/co-workers/clients as requested, using good judgment, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to use computers with advanced word-processing skills including a working knowledge of spreadsheets, database, inter/intranet, email, and social media;
- Ability to read/listen and understand routine instructions and carry them out with limited supervision;
- Ability to produce clear, concise, logical, and grammatically correct written material in the three ECOWAS official languages and to have equal verbal language proficiency;
- Ability to address issues with others in a candid, polite, timely, and straightforward manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize routine work tasks, to identify solutions to address conflicting priorities or uncertainty in carrying out new or changing tasks;
- Ability to develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve these goals;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team or work unit goals as directed by supervisor;
- Ability to work within well-established office practices and balance multiple tasks within set deadlines.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.