Contract - Continuing (permanent). Local terms and conditions apply.
Location - Lagos, Nigeria
Any offer of employment with the BBC is conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.Â
At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world.
BBC Pidgin digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on creating impact, interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms. As one of our Journalists youâll have a crucial role in increase BBC Pidginâs time spent on the website and on social with the audience.
By joining BBC Pidgin, youâll be a part of the team, including Yoruba and Igbo, which serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. You will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
You will take full editorial responsibility for the timely delivery of daily output. Reporting to the Editor, your main responsibilities will include: leading on the production, creative and timely distribution of all digital content, videos, and innovative editorial projects to serve our Pidgin audiences. The SJ will also bear in mind the need to adhere to the BBC's editorial guidelines and objectives.
In addition, you will be responsible for coming up with creative and innovative ways of developing, pitching and telling stories through text and video.
You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
Are you the right candidate?
Required skills and experience include:
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Pidgin and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- A demonstrable track record of growing social media platforms and engaging with audiences.
- A deep understanding of Search Engine Optimization.
- Familiarity with digital news production on websites and social media platforms.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to mentor, lead and inspire journalists to bring out the best in them.
- Decent experience with presentation of live and recorded programs.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC Editorial Guidelines (especially as regards conflict of interest) and to abide by BBC Values.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.