- Inspects the site to ensure it is a hazard-free environment.
- Conducts toolbox meetings
- Is part of the project safety council and leads all efforts to enhance safety
- The safety officer reviews and approves all subcontractors safety plans
- Verifies that injury logs and reports are completed and submitted to related government agencies
- Verifies that all tools and equipment are adequate and safe for use.
- Promotes safe practices at the job site.
- Enforces safety guidelines.
- Trains and carries out drills and exercises on how to manage emergency situations.
- Conducts investigations of all accidents and near-misses.
- Reports to concerned authorities as requested or mandated by regulations.
- Conducts job hazard analyses.
- Establishes safety standards and policies as needed.
- Performs emergency response drills.
- Watches out for the safety of all workers and works to protect them from entering hazardous situations.
- Responds to employees’ safety concerns.
- Coordinates registration and removal of hazardous waste.
- Serves as the link between state and local agencies and contractors.
- Receives reports from and responds to orders issued by Department of Labor inspectors.
- Arranges for OSHA mandated testing and/or evaluations of the workplace by external agencies / consultants.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Observation skills (attention to detail)
- Sense of responsibility.
- Physical ability to do the work.