Job Classification: Classroom Teacher
Teacher Reports To: The Head of School
Major Duties and Responsibilities.
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Teaches English language, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, Art, Physical and Health Education, Bible Knowledge, Civic Education, Quantitative, Verbal Reasoning and Information and Communication Technology and all other subjects offered to pupils in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by the School, and other appropriate learning activities.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Uses a variety of instruction strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluates pupil’s academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates an understanding and appreciation of a democratic way of life.
- Communicates with parents through a variety of means. Holds parent conferences when needed to discuss the individual pupil progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Maintains professional competence through participation in staff development activities provided by the school and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
- Creates and maintains an effective learning environment.
- Performs basic attendance accounting and business services as required.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned workday. This includes but is not limited to field trips, sporting activities and assemblies.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with the school testing program.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Supervision and Evaluation: The classroom teacher is under the immediate supervision of the head of section.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree of related subject from an accredited university
2. Experience: Experience is preferred but not necessary for hiring.
3. Personal Characteristics: Appearance, an engaging personality, knowledge of curriculum and standards, knowledge of subject matter, passion for children and teaching as well as personality that establish a positive example for pupils.