- Conduct daily rounds of the dialysis unit and examine Electronic Medical Reports of patients; ensure that the instructions of the Nephrologist are being adhered to, in all cases.
- Perform supervisory role to nurses in ensuring that all sterile precautions are met; patient safety protocols are adhered to, in terms of patient conditions, vitals and using medical equipment.
- Attend to possible complications (bleeding from fistula, hypotension etc.) developed by patients while undergoing the dialysis procedure.
- Assist Nephrologists in medical procedures such as inserting catheter, fistula/graft insertion etc.
- Conduct pre- and post-dialysis analysis of vitals, weight and other relevant tests and identify patterns of singularity that might need medical attention.
- Order necessary monthly tests for dialysis patients; closely monitor and evaluate lab investigation reports to understand possible future complications.
- Closing the dialysis procedure as per protocol; further to ensuring that all information is updated and monitored.
- Supervise and ensure implementation of emergency protocol (following instructions on operating emergency trolley, ensuring technicians are trained (in BLS etc.) in the absence of the Nephrologist.
- Educate and counsel patients on the procedures involved in the course of dialysis treatment; clarifying their concerns and questions about the treatment.
- Refer the patient to the dietician and /or psychologist in cases of modifications required in dietary plans or need to handle emotional stress.
- Conduct daily rounds in the dialysis centre and monitor the progress of all patients undergoing dialysis therapy.
- Ensure updates of records in the EMR for all patients before and after every dialysis procedure.
- Ensure adherence to health standards and other relevant quality standards in all processes.
- Act as the on-call doctor for all medical related matters in the absence of the Nephrologist
- Advise the Dialysis Head nurse/manager on medical matters relating to facility and infrastructure, based on recommendations from the Nephrologist
Provide performance-related feedback to management.
- Minimum of M.B.B.S degree (at least 4 years post-qualification)
- Four (4) years relevant clinical experience with a current license to practice in Nigeria in good standing with state licensing board
- CPR certification
- BLS, ACLS, PALS certification is also preferred
- Should be empathetic and exhibit a high degree of professionalism while carrying out duties.
- Should possess leadership, supervisory skills and performance management skills
- Should possess excellent interpersonal and people management skills
Ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Update in-patient and outpatient history and diagnosis data in Electronic Medical Reports and/ or specific files for current and future reference.
- Copes well with ambiguity