The technical advisor has the following core responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain partnerships with partners at a decentralized level in the health sector
- In cooperation with colleagues based at the main office, establish and maintain partnerships with national, bi-, and multilateral stakeholders in the health sector
- Provide advisory and capacity development services to BACKUP partner institutions and organizations in Nigeria, with a special focus on identified states
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of ongoing Global Fund related projects and consultancies as part of the BACKUP portfolio and also keep track of developments of other global financing mechanisms such as GFF and Gavi, focusing on identified decentralized (state) level
- Based on overall BACKUP strategy and mandate, contribute to the ongoing development of the BACKUP portfolio and technical assistance approach Nigeria
In this context, the position holder performs the following tasks in close collaboration with the BACKUP team (in-country and headquarter) as well as other teams of relevant programs in the country:
1. Technical advice (capacity development)
- Identify technical assistance (TA) needs and opportunities for support in BACKUP’s areas of cooperation, such as strengthening national coordination, the health system, and the management of health services at the community level with a special focus on partners´ needs at the decentralized (state) level.
- Provide technical assistance based on the identified needs as well as analyze and incorporate cross-cutting themes such as community, rights, and gender-related to the interventions with a special focus on the decentralized (state) level.
- Provide technical contributions to policies, guidelines, and tools as may be required by program activities.
- Organize, conduct and/or facilitate training sessions in relevant areas of work with a special focus on the decentralized (state) level.
2. Management and coordination
- Plan consultancy and financial support to be provided by BACKUP based on the overall strategy of the project and specific partner need with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- Operationalize the monitoring framework for the contribution of interventions in the country to overall project objectives and indicators with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- Provide technical backstopping to local and international TA providers in his/her field of expertise with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- Prepare, attend and report on governance, programmatic, and technical working group coordination meetings with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- Manage and coordinate BACKUP interventions in the country (monitoring, technical and financial reporting, logistical management of workshops, and field trips) with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- In cooperation with colleagues at national level, plan and support visits from TA providers and BACKUP headquarter staff.
- In cooperation with colleagues at national level, support knowledge management for BACKUP by collecting and documenting good practices and lessons learned on Global Fund-related processes and TA approaches as well as for Gavi and the GFF, and with a special focus on the decentralized (state) level.
3. Communication and networking
- Promote partnerships and linkages between key stakeholders related to the Global Fund, disease-specific as well as health system actors as well as for Gavi and the GFF with a special focus on the decentralized level.
- Support transparent communication and information sharing between all involved institutions and counterparts related to the Global Fund, Gavi, and the GFF with a special focus on the decentralized level.
▪ Represent GIZ/BACKUP in relevant meetings at the decentralized level.
▪ In cooperation with colleagues at the national level, prepare BACKUP communication and coordinate public relations through the national, regional, and global publication of project outcomes (e.g. in journals, news feeds, and social media).
4. Coordination with other teams of relevant programs in the country
- Coordinate planning, execution, and monitoring of all national, regional, and district activities jointly with other teams of relevant programs in the country to ensure coherent and seamless support in the health sector from GIZ.
- Conduct regular meetings with other program´s project managers if applicable to update on progress, report on results, and seek guidance on key challenges.
5. Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder
▪ Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the BACKUP / GIZ management.
- University degree (master’s level) in an area that is relevant to the program objectives, with a focus on public health, public policy, or development studies. A master’s degree in public health (management) would be an asset.
- At least 3-5 years professional experience in a comparable position ▪ Work experience in the health sector in Nigeria with public and/or private institutions (e.g. disease control, health service delivery, community development)
- Experience with health programs financed by domestic and external resources
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Good understanding of global health architecture
- Experience with Global Fund and/or German Development Cooperation would be an asset
- Highly motivated professional
- A team player willing to take on the responsibility
- Strong managerial and organizational competence
- Possessing a positive attitude to change
- Tolerance to ambiguous situations and stress
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact in complex cooperation systems with various stakeholders (including senior government officials, civil society and key population representatives, project implementers, and beneficiaries)
- Good communication and writing skills
- Language skills: Excellent spoken and written English
- Good IT knowledge