- Monitoring system performance and identifying problems that arise.
- Responding in a timely manner to user-reported errors.
- Protecting the database against threats or unauthorized access.
- Ensuring that the database is adequately backed up and able to be recovered in the event of memory loss.
- Reporting on metrics regarding usage and performance.
- Suggesting changes and improvements for maintenance or protection.
- Regularly liaising with IT project managers and database programmers.
- Designing databases with both front-end and back-end users in mind.
Database Administrator Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field.
- Proficiency in data manipulation languages, including MS SQL, Oracle Database, Hadoop or PostgreSQL.
- Analytic mindset and good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and responsible.
- Confidence working under pressure.
- Maintaining an awareness of trends and developments in database administration.