Tailor Roles and Responsibilities:
- Sew garments, clothing or other articles using needle and thread, sewing machines, and other sewing equipment.
- Assemble garment parts and join parts with basting stitches.
- Make made-to-measure clothing according to customers’ and clothing manufacturers’ specifications and fit, and applying principles of garment design.
Fit and study garments on customers to determine required alterations.
- Repair textiles or apparel by removing stitches from garments to be altered using rippers or razor blades.
- Repair or replace defective garment parts such as pockets, zippers, snaps, buttons and linings.
- Smooth garments using irons, steamers, presses, or other machines.
Maintain garment drape and proportions as alterations are performed.
- Develop, copy or adapt designs for garments and design patterns to fit measurements, applying knowledge of garment design, construction, styling, and fabric. Measure customers using a tape measure and record measurements.
- Make garment style changes, such as tapering pant legs, narrowing lapels and adding or removing padding.
Work with procurement to estimate how much a garment will cost to make, based on factors such as time and material requirements.
- Cut fabrics and position patterns on equipment, materials and workplaces.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Prior experience in male fashion tailoring is required.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical functions.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Creativity and problem-solving abilities.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures in tailoring.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, sometimes simultaneously.