We are an agricultural Franchise is a financially sustainable, high impact and highly scalable social enterprise, which is part-owned by the farmers it serves. Our organisation utilises an innovative model designed to serve the bottom of the pyramid and transform agriculture into a job-creation engine. Through this agricultural franchise, we offer a suite of services to smallholder farmers, helping them to overcome the challenges of fragmentation and low economies of scale. These services include:
● Financial Credit: we raise cost-effective debt to finance its members.
● Agricultural Inputs: provides the appropriate balance of quality agricultural inputs at highly competitive prices.
● Training and Development: Members are trained on good agronomic practices with a focus on minimizing negative environmental impact.
● Harvest Storage and Marketing Services: access to optimal storage practices, markets and increased profits.
The organisation has supported smallholder farmers to increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. This social enterprise had grown to become Nigeria's single largest maize producing entity. Over the past 8 years of its operations, we have scaled to serve a cumulative of over 65,000 smallholders across 5 Northern states in Nigeria: Katsina, Kano, Kaduna, Bauchi and Plateau states.
Requirements to Apply:
• Experience in Commodity Trading
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Agric Economics, Marketing or other related fields; Masters degree preferred
• Broad knowledge in a financial or agricultural field
• Experience: 3 plus years’ experience preferred in a grain merchandising role or 5 years in a similar type of role in purchasing or trading.
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written skills; ability to present in a large group setting
• Knowledge of merchandising practices and flexible contract pricing methods
• Analytical; problem-solving; prioritising; and multi-tasking abilities.
• Ability to relate to the needs of the farmers’ work with a wide variety of teams and suppliers; work with numbers.
• Ability to measure impact and benchmark.
• Expert with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and web-based applications
• Highly analytical, organised, detail-oriented, communicative and collaborative
• Implementing and Scaling Innovative Program
• Leadership experience, preferably in managing large network of partners
• Project Management Skills for Financial Projections
• Experienced with craft, research, data collection, data analysis and financially efficient means of growing the company’s business and profits
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Capture commodity price information and product price assessments
• Develop and expand coverage of aligned commodities
• Develop, expand and maintain sources and contacts relevant to the market area of coverage
• Establish, maintain, and grow customer relationships by engaging customers and learning about their businesses, including their marketing strategy, hedging needs, and the value we can bring to their operations by way of market knowledge and products that best fit their business.
• Presentation of marketing strategies and products to customers, using working knowledge of grain market fundamentals and basic trading principles.
• Timely, accurate contract entry and hedging of all purchases.
• Managing the logistics surrounding grain origination and merchandising.
• Strong communication with fellow merchants and commercial team regarding local market conditions to build merchandising strategies and identify trading opportunities.
• Operating for growth of the Babban Gona brand from both top-line and bottom-line on Babban Gona Agriculture Marketplace - including P&L responsibilities and day to day operations at Babban Gona
• Building and maintaining a database of customers that shop with the Babban Gona brand to retarget for relevant brands/products.
• Build and maintain in-stock rate, pricing, promotions, Q&A and review management.
• Managing and resolving customer complaint tickets, cases and ensuring timely resolution.
• Develop and maintain analytics dashboards while working with Business Intelligence central reporting to track and optimize performance.
• Closely monitor competitor action and develop strategies to grow market share.
• Set weekly targets. Effectively communicate goals to relevant stakeholders, and hold marketing and operations leaders accountable to hitting targets.
• Train, coach and direct Marketplace team on merchandise handling, shipment processing, merchandise presentation, and visual techniques as needed.
• Make iterative changes to the marketplace infrastructure to ensure success.
• Partner with the Enterprise Systems Engineering and Product team on the vision for marketplace operations in the app and ensure the product roadmap supports business needs.
• Regularly evaluate the health of the markets, proffer cross-functional solution(s) to enable struggling markets to succeed. Also recommend and justify exit if required.
• Operate in a fast-paced, highly fluid environment - think creatively, structure problems analytically, prioritize and effectively use data to drive decisions.
Good Qualities To Have:
What we are offering:
• An entrepreneurial, startup and dynamic work environment.
• Flexibility and autonomy to organize your work while meeting deadlines and expectations.
• Opportunity to grow along with the company and be part of an impactful story.
• Competitive salary with additional benefits.
Our organisation currently operates a decentralized model with 10 offices spread across Nigeria. This role would be based in Northern Nigeria