Radiant Earth Foundation’s core mission is to make insights from remote sensing data and machine learning an order of magnitude more accessible for global non-profits, humanitarian organizations, and companies and governments in emerging economies.
We do this by curating, hosting, and listing/redirecting to open training datasets through Radiant MLHub. MLHub is a repository and registry of geospatial training data, and we lead community efforts to develop standards and increase interoperability of these data for machine learning applications.
In addition to training data catalogs, we work with organizations on complex use cases with high-impact outcomes. Since our founding in 2016, we’ve worked with Omidyar Network (a founding funder), Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (another founding funder), as well as NASA, Schmidt Futures, McGovern Foundation, Digital Earth Africa and more.
We are searching for a passionate Data Scientist to help us curate new training data datasets, and build novel machine learning models for various applications using Earth observations. You will also oversee labeling campaigns and help with competitions that we run.
Our team is currently distributed across the US. We have recently decided to expand to Africa, and this is our first position in the continent. You will be working remotely with our US-based team.
What You Will Do:
- Build machine learning models for various applications in agriculture, land monitoring, and infrastructure mapping
- Curate and generate training datasets from various ground-based observations
- Help design competitions based on datasets on Radiant MLHub
- Manage labeling campaigns run by our partners
- Prepare tutorials for machine learning applications using datasets on Radiant MLHub
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field with track record of Machine Learning experience.
- Experienced in Python programming.
- Working knowledge of SQL.
- Deep knowledge of machine learning techniques.
- Experienced working with machine learning libraries such as TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Working knowledge of version-control platforms (e.g. GitHub, GitLab).
- Excellent communication and team collaboration skills.
- You are passionate about the world's challenging problems, and eager to help address them.
- Citizen of Nigeria and currently residing in Nigeria.
- General knowledge of geospatial and remote sensing techniques.
- Working knowledge of geospatial packages (GDAL, Shapely, GeoPandas, rasterio).
- Familiarity with STAC specification.
- Experienced in PostGIS.
- Experienced working in a commercial cloud environment (AWS or Azure).
What we offer:
- Radiant Earth offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package with flexible time off.
- We work with a diverse user community, and you will have the opportunity to work on highly impactful projects. We have a collaborative work environment with a robust support system driven by passionate individuals.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential. Radiant Earth Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.