The Research and Policy Officer will work with the Secretariat team to develop and undertake research and policy projects in line with the NFF strategic plan. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in a research role, with experience of conducting high-quality primary research. This is an exciting development opportunity for someone with experience of research work to communicate their data findings to a broader audience, thereby influencing public policy and creating feminist knowledge.
Feminist Research and Analysis
1. Work with the secretariate team and NFF Steering Committee members to produce research work on NFF interests including collating data, drafting content, providing critical analysis, formatting, editing and dissemination;
2. To produce policy briefings, reports, and responses to government consultations on policy formulation, and implementation;
3. To design, develop and undertake research and policy projects to support the delivery of NFF strategic plan;
4. To produce feminist analysis, maintain awareness, and create knowledge of research literature related to ending violence against women and girls in Nigeria;
5. Working with appropriate think tanks in the creation of feminist knowledge and research;
6. To deliver presentations on research findings to varied audiences.
1. Communicate research findings through reports, briefings, blogs, newsletter articles and presentations for a variety of audiences.
2. Write copy for the website including summaries of research reports and briefings.
3. Work with the secretariat and administrative officer to organise meetings, workshops, and events.
4. Represent NFF at meetings as required by the Coordinator and Focal Person.
5. Work with the NFF Coordinator and Focal person to build relationships with key stakeholders, including politicians, public policy holders, women-led feminist organisations, academics, gender think tanks and research centres.
1. Undertake your own administration, including correspondence, filing, and photocopying.
2. Supporting the Coordinator and Focal person in writing funding applications for research projects.
3. Represent the NFF at meetings and conferences as requested by the Coordinator.
4. Undertaking any other duties falling within the scope of the work.
Research and Policy development:
1. Experience of working in research and policy development within an applied setting;
2. Solid understanding of intersectional feminist analysis and its application to public policy;
3. Knowledge and experience of analysing and summarising quantitative and qualitative research findings;
4. Be able to use one or more of the research tools Nvivo, Tableau Data Visualization, AtlasTi, Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), Open Data Kit (ODK),
5. Understanding of women’s equality and ending violence against women and girls.
1. Post graduate degree in social sciences, gender studies and humanities;
2. Experience of data collation, and statistical analysis, working with large datasets and data analysis packages;
3. Experience of delivering qualitative research projects using methods such as in-depth interviews and focus groups;
4. Experience of leading on research projects;
5. Experience of combining qualitative and quantitative data.
1. Highly organised with good attention to detail;
2. Ability to work on own initiative;
3. The ability to manage research projects and to prioritise and manage own time to achieve objectives and deadlines.
1. Experience of designing, delivering and project managing research projects;
2. Experience of utilizing various research packages to manage research time.
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills for a range of audiences;
2. Strong proofreading and editing skills;
3. Verbal communications skills, including delivering presentations;
4. High level of computer literacy, familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and other research packages.
1. Experience of using Mailchimp for mailing and Wordpress for updating websites;
2. Experience of event management e.g. organising seminars, report launches and/or member networks;
3. Understanding of how to use social media to communicate on behalf of an organisation.
1. Proven ability to work flexibly as part of a small team;
2. Good communicator.
3. Commitment to and desire to promote women’s equality and feminist leadership.