Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure cost consciousness and savings in all negotiations for settlement out of court or payment of Solicitors fees
- To act as a liaison between the Branches, Solicitors and the Department
- To respond to invitations from security agencies and ensure bail of staff when requested at the regions
- Make recommendations to Management for matters to be resolved amicably, where applicable
- Effective and proactive litigation portfolio management
- To prepare Leases on Bank Premises, Assignments, Bonds, etc.
- To prepare Deeds of Release of charges for sealing at the Company Secretariat.
- To prepare legal Mortgage Forms and other documents for securitization of facilities.
- To arrange for searches at the Land Registry and Corporate Affairs Commission, Abuja through a local external Solicitor.
- To monitor States Edicts and Federal Decrees particularly those affecting the operation of the Bank and to bring them to the attention of the Management.
- To pay the Solicitors fees on perfection using the approved scale of fees.
- To recommend to the Head Office the payment of external Solicitors bill in respect of litigation matters for approval.
- To attend Zonal Manager's meetings and advice on legal issues arising at such meetings.
- To attend other meetings with Customers law enforcement agencies as may be required by the Zone.
- To recommend any suitable Solicitor to Head Office for inclusion as an external Solicitor.
- To write opinions on any contentious or unfavourable judgment in Court against the Bank so as to enable the Head Office to take a decision as to filing a Motion for Stay of Execution and a Notice of Appeal
- Share Ideas and seek guidance on complex issues;
- Obtain information documents/clarify issues;
- Liaison on ongoing matters and obtain legal advice;
- Handling of the bank's Cases instituted for and against the Bank.
- Perfection on titles Pledged as security and
- General legal advice.
- Reduction of advance consequences on the Bank;
- Reduction of Customers Complaints and Claim for damages;
- Reduction of Customer's complaints and resolution of outstanding issues;
Key Performance Indicators:
- Perfection of Securities and ensuring proper securitization of documents
- Regular visits to Branches to scrutinize perfected securities and ensure rectification
- To watch bank’s briefs in Court and assist external Solicitors handling such cases where the need arises.
- To regularly liaise with external Solicitors handling Bank cases.
- To vet pleadings/draft agreements and securities prepared by external Solicitors and liaise with Head Office on issues arising therefrom
- Drafting and Review of Agreements;
- Reduction of Legacy Cases;
- Responding to threats of Legal action
- Engage Solicitor on Garnishee/Litigation cases
- Legal Advice/Opinion
- Settling legal cases pre-court
- Title Perfection
- Minimum education level –LL.B, B.L from a recognized University.
- 5 – 7 years experience
- An accomplished lawyer with a strong background in corporate legal practice and a proven ability to negotiate complex transactions and lead successful teams.
- An analytical thinker, an effective communicator together with a capacity to interpret and assimilate large volumes of complex information and construct cogent arguments.
- Must be a well-trained Barrister and Solicitor
Skill & Competencies:
- Keen, conscientious, with a friendly disposition
- An efficient and reliable person, can work alone or as part of a team.
- Can work well under extreme pressure and remain calm with the ability to prioritize.
- A proactive person with the ability to liaise with colleagues at all levels providing support and motivation.
- Personable and adaptable individual with excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- versatility in advocacy and solicitorship;