Location: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Under the supervision of the Microeconomic, Institutional, and Development Impact Division Manager, the Research Economist will:
- Participate in Ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment of Bank’s lending operations
- Provide inputs and assist the team in the delivery of ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment of the African Development Bank lending to Non-sovereign and Regional Operations and any other type of operation as required by the management.
- Contribute to any revisions to the Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment framework on the basis of implementation experience and lessons from other Development Finance institutions.
- Participate in research activities in the areas supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration), and Improve the quality of life for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)). This includes also strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive and green growth.
- Provide inputs into the production of the Bank’s flagship publications
- Contribute to the preparation of flagship reports or assigned chapters, write assigned sections and follow it (peer reviews) until publication
- Assist and lead on the dissemination of the findings of reports
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers;
- Lead or participate in Economic Sector Work;
- Participate in the peer-review process of projects, programs, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
- Contribute knowledge in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series " and the Bank’s "African Development Review":
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Provide inputs in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers, and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge):
- Have at least a master’s degree in Economics, Finance, or a relevant field.
- A Ph.D. would be an added advantage
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of professional experience combining research and operational involvement in the design and evaluation of operations relevant to the High 5s areas including the following: infrastructure including energy, agriculture, private sector development, industrial organizations, and social sectors, project analysis and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Publication record in international peer-reviewed journals, working papers, book chapters, reports, etc
- Good knowledge and background in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in project evaluation, finance, and development economics research
- Proven ability in development policy research and analysis of economic conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas)
- Ability to design and conduct research projects/programs
- Ability to understand and identify development outcomes expected from real sector projects
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda, speeches, and notes for use in decision-making processes
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of leading econometrics software packages and in Microsoft Suites (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access)
- Have good communication skills and a proven ability to work in teams and on multiple projects in parallel.
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.