The Chief Health Insurance and Social Protection Officer reports to the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection, and Nutrition Division. She/he will support the Bank’s health and social protection agenda as follows:
- Support African countries in strengthening their health insurance and social protection systems.
- Strengthen relevant institutions through advisory services and capacity building programmes and other forms of support.
- Contribute or where appropriate, lead, the preparation and appraisal of lending operations.
- Ensure that relevant colleagues at central and decentralized levels are continuously updated on emerging issues on health financing, health insurance, and social protection.
- Initiate and lead knowledge work, technical and sectoral studies on the Bank’s health and social protection agenda, in particular regarding access to the last mile.
- Support the development and rolling out of social protection guidelines, tools, etc.
- All above responsibilities entail close working relationships within the relevant partnerships of which the Bank is a member, as well as with individual donor institutions as appropriate.
- Provide expertise to the Department and other relevant Bank departments.
- Provide documented strategic advice to Management.
- Contribute to the preparation of policies and strategies.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection, and Nutrition Division, the Chief Health Insurance and Social Protection Officer shall perform the following key functions:
- Provide knowledge and technical advice on appropriate instruments to be supported in order to ensure that the Bank’s support helps to raise productivity and support participation of poor and vulnerable people.
- Provide leadership on health insurance and social protection issues in the Department. The incumbent will serve as a focal point on health insurance and social protection issues and is expected to influence the design and execution of relevant Bank operations and activities. He/she will play a key role in promoting innovative practical health and social protection approaches/strategies.
- Develop relations with experts in the Department and other departments of the Bank and partners; and play a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank in the field of social protection.
- Promote the integration of poverty/vulnerability analysis by providing poverty assessments and profiles to inform sector operations. This will apply to both Sovereign and Non-Sovereign Operations.
- Recommend health sector studies/projects/programmes in the areas of health insurance, health economics, and social protection. This will in particular cover technology-based innovative solutions as well as the potential of the private sector in health insurance and social protection.
- Lead economic and sector work to inform country dialogue and policies on health insurance and social protection.
- Analyse benefit policies, coverage and enrolment issues, accreditation, and negotiation with healthcare service providers in the Bank’s Regional Member Countries.
- Initiate and maintain a high-level policy dialogue with borrowers and other agencies involved in health insurance and social protection activities.
- Advise Governments/Bank Management on proposed health insurance strategies, policies, and operational plans.
- Represent the Bank at seminars and conferences related to health insurance and social protection.
- Cultivate external partnerships and networks and liaise with other multilateral and bilateral institutions (such as WORLD BANK, UNICEF, WHO, ILO, etc. and regional institutions such as AU, UNECA, ECOWAS, SADC, EAC, COMESA, IGAD, and Initiatives such as the Harmonization for Health in Africa (HHA) and the Global Network for Health Financing and Social Protection (P4H) to help Regional Member Countries identify the right sources of technical support for their needs.
- Performing other related administrative or technical duties as required by the Manager of Public Health, Social Protection and Nutrition Division, and other senior management of the Bank.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge):
- At least a Master’s degree in Health Economics, Development Economics, Public Health, International Development and/or relevant disciplines with a good knowledge of social protection and health insurance issues;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in multilateral development institutions or reputable development organisations;
- Strong research/analytical skills with the ability to strategically and rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations;
- Experience in project cycle management (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision, and completion);
- Ability to understand complex problems and recommend innovative and pragmatic solutions;
- Good analytical, networking, facilitation, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent team player.
- Strong understanding of multi-sector approaches and gaps in health and social protection;
- Demonstrable knowledge of analysis and formulation of policies and operations in health insurance and social protection;
- Deep understanding of health systems strengthening, including in particular acquaintance with health financing and public-private collaboration issues;
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral agencies and other development partners in health insurance and social protection;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project). Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.