The specific objectives include:
To update and analyse research on potential sponsors/stakeholders, in order to determine their information and communication needs and potential value of investing in radio programming.
To build capacity and accompany radio stations on marketing and sales enabling them secure sponsorship for interactive agricultural radio programming
To develop strategy and plan with radio stations for engaging with sponsors/stakeholders on sustainable interactive agricultural radio programming.
To accompany radio stations implement sponsorship strategy/plan and secure revenue from sponsors/stakeholders.
The consultant will work collaborative with FRI and the radio station partners throughout the assignment.
The overall approach to deliver the assignment will include:
Capacity building of radio stations and relevant stakeholders
Meetings with potential sponsors/ stakeholders
Hands-on support in preparing sponsorship documentation and events
Review and advise in programming and analysis of outcome data for pitching to potential sponsors
Consultation with farmers organisations, value chain platforms, public, private and CSOs
Deliverables & activities
Review, update and analyse potential sponsorship data collected during formative research for the radio programming
Draft strategy and plan for engaging sponsors for each radio station/state.
Train radio stations on marketing and sales and finalise strategy and plan for engaging with potential sponsors and stakeholders
Accompany radio stations to effectively implement sponsorship strategy and plan. Depending on the strategy and plan, this could include support in contacting and communicating with sponsors, preparation and facilitation of meetings with sponsors, writing sponsorship requests and proposals/budgets, synthesising data and evidence of project impact of interest to sponsors etc.
In collaboration with FRI and radio stations engage with Federal and State Ministries of Agricultural and other key stakeholders to provide institutional, financial and policy support to agricultural radio programming.
Provide technical advice and support in farmer-centred market-based design of radio programming that takes into consideration interest of farmers and sponsors.
Develop approach and facilitate effective hand over of the radio programming to local stakeholders
- Regular meetings will be held between the consultant and FRI at field and coordination levels.
The expected deliverables include:
Updated report on potential sponsorship covering 8 states
Draft strategy and plan for engaging sponsors for 8 radio stations/states.
Radio stations training report on marketing and sales
Finalised strategy and plan for each of 8 stations for engaging with potential sponsors and stakeholders
Report and other documentation on sponsorship strategy and plan implemented: contacts and communications with sponsors, travels and meetings with sponsors, sponsorship requests and proposals/budgets, synthesis of data and evidence of project impact of interest to sponsors etc.
Report on outcomes of meetings with Federal and State Ministries and other key stakeholders to provide institutional, financial and policy support to agricultural radio programming.
Documented inputs into farmer-centred market-based design of radio programming.
Evidence of successful hand over of the radio programming to local stakeholders
Evidence of sponsorship mobilised during the project phase.
- The consultant should have substantive experience in capacity building and accompaniment of business organisation.
- Knowledge of the agricultural and communication for development sectors is an added value.
- Work experience in Nigeria is required and experience implementing communication related assignments is desirable.
- The consultant should have great business, marketing/sales and communication skills and excellent written and verbal skills in English language.
- The consultant should demonstrate capacity for training and coaching and strategy and plan development and implementation.
- He / She will be under the supervision of the Project Manager and Country Representative and will work closely with the Global FRI team.
Specific requirements include:
- A University degree in relevant field;
- Demonstrated expertise in business development and marketing/sales and public relations;
- Previous experience and familiarity with stakeholders in the target states is a significant advantage;
- Result orientedness, ability to work under pressure and produce quality work within short deadlines;
- Fluency in English written and oral communication;