Duties of Hotel Steward
Hotel Stewards perform a variety of duties and responsibilities every shift. The following list outlines the core duties and responsibilities Hotel Stewards perform daily.
- Maintain Cleanliness of all Dining Utensils: Hotel Stewards are responsible for making sure all plates, glasses, bowls and silverware are perfectly cleaned between uses. This often involves using an industrial dishwasher and then hand polishing to remove leftover smudges.
- Maintain Cleanliness of Kitchen and Storage Areas: Hotel Stewards also have to make sure the kitchen and storage areas are kept clean at all times. This includes cleaning industrial kitchen appliances, such as stoves, grills, freezers and ovens. This is an integral part of the Hotel Steward’s job, as the kitchen must meet health and safety standards at all times.
- Assist With Food Storage, Rotation and Preparation: Although Hotel Stewards are not responsible for cooking, they are responsible for minor food preparation. This includes things like preparing fresh salads, garnishing dishes and adding fresh salt or pepper according to customer taste.
- Maintain High Standards of Personal Appearance: The personal appearance code varies slightly by the employer, but the industry standard for Hotel Stewards is having a clean and professional appearance at all times. This means wearing the appropriate dress, covering tattoos and maintaining facial hair.
- Approach Each Customer Encounter with Positive Attitude: Hotel Stewards spend a majority of their time in the back of the house, but some of their duties do involve interacting with customers. With hotel dining, it is all about the customer experience. Hotel Stewards must contribute to this experience by consistently maintaining a positive attitude in all interactions with customers.
Required Skills for the Position
Ability to Multi-task
Attention to Details