JEI-Nigeria is looking for a committed individual with significant civil litigation, criminal defense, and alternative dispute resolution experience to join our team as a Staff Attorney based in Port Harcourt. He/she will be an innovative thinker with strong technical skills, who are committed to using the law as a tool for social change and supporting grassroots legal empowerment and access to justice. The Staff Attorney will work with members of JEI-Nigeria staff, community paralegals, and members of grassroots movements such as the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation.
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:4 years
Who We Are:
Justice & Empowerment Initiatives – Nigeria (JEI-Nigeria) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Lagos and Port Harcourt, Nigeria. We empower poor and marginalized individuals and communities to lead the changes that they would like to see in their own communities -- whether greater access to justice for the poor, pro-poor urban governance and policy or community-led in-situ upgrading and development. Our work is community-driven, community-owned, and community sustained. Partner communities identify their needs and set priorities – e.g. addressing violence, strengthening land tenure, or building drainages. These priorities feed into all aspects of our work.
We bring technical expertise in law, advocacy, and community organizing to inform, strengthen and support community-led efforts to solve justice and development problems. Our ultimate goal is to build the capacity of poor and marginalized individuals to set up sustainable community-level and inter-community structures to support and leverage their efforts and resources to bring about lasting change.
- Work with JEI-Nigeria’s legal team and community paralegals to provide grassroots legal aid and legal education to urban poor populations in Port Harcourt, with a focus on persons living in informal settlements and waterfronts, persons working in the informal economy, persons living with disabilities, and minorities.
- Train, encourage, and supervise community paralegals in Port Harcourt.
- Draft and file legal processes and make court appearances.
- Conduct legal research in support of strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond paralegal supervision, litigation, and research as part of the JEI-Nigeria team.
- Strong candidates will have at least 5 years of experience in civil litigation and criminal defense. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than 3 years of experience are encouraged to apply.
- Degree in law and admission (current) to the Nigerian Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to use the law as a tool for social change.
- Strong legal writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training/teaching skills required.
- Experience working with grassroots movements is a significant plus.
- Training and experience in human rights law are a plus.
- Training and experience in land law are a plus.
- NGO project management experience is a plus.
- Experience litigating cases before ECOWAS Community Court of Justice and/or the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights is a plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment is a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in other prominent languages spoken in Port Harcourt is a significant plus.
Remuneration: A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.