JEI is looking for a committed individual with significant civil litigation, criminal defense, and alternative dispute resolution experience to join our team as a Staff Attorney based in Lagos or Port Harcourt. He/she will be an innovative thinker with strong technical skills, who is committed to using the law as a tool for social change.
- Minimum Qualification:Degree
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
- Work with JEI’s legal team and community paralegals to provide grassroots legal aid and legal education to urban poor populations in Lagos and Port Harcourt, with a focus on persons living in slums/informal settlements, persons working in the informal economy, persons living with disabilities, and minorities.
- Train, encourage, and supervise community paralegals in Lagos and Port Harcourt.
- Draft and file legal processes and make court appearances.
- Conduct legal research in support of strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond paralegal supervision, litigation, and research as part of the JEI team.
- At least 5 years of experience in civil litigation and criminal defense. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than three years of experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum academic qualification of a Degree in law and admission (current) to the Nigerian Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to use the law as a tool for social change.
- Strong legal writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training/teaching skills required.
- Experience working with grassroots movements is a significant plus.
- Training and experience in human rights law are a plus.
- Training and experience in land law are a plus.
- NGO project management experience is a plus.
- Experience litigating cases before the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice and/or the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights is a plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment is a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Hausa, Egun, and/or Yoruba language skills is a significant plus.
Remuneration: A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.