- A Master’s /MSc in Economics, Business Administration, Law or an equivalent qualification in taxation or a related fit.
Place: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary: According to GIZ salary scale for Band 5
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The expert is responsible for the GIZ support to the ECOWAS Commission in the area of capacity development and knowledge transfer on matters relating to regional economic integration of tax matters, incl. domestic tax reforms and harmonization of the tax legislations of the Member States of ECOWAS.
- He/she is fully responsible for planning and implementing the activities of two sub-component (“Technical capacities for increased revenue mobilization strengthened” and “Regional and continental coordination and knowledge transfer”) in close cooperation with the ECOWAS Commission and other project stakeholders.
- Furthermore, he/she will be assisting project initiatives to provide professional advisory services to the partner, cooperate with a broad range of target groups using innovation and knowledge management.
- He/she reports on activities planned and conducted as well as outputs and results achieved to the GIZ Head of Component Trade Facilitation.
- Plans and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with partners and in line with GIZ rules and regulations;
- Designs, prepares, implements and evaluates trainings on topical tax issues related to the ECOWAS Fiscal Transition Programme (TTP);
- Develops and implements concepts to promote and institutionalize information exchange and mutual cooperation for tax assistance among ECOWAS MS;
- Develops and coordinates an interactive platform for information sharing among all the actors supporting the TTP;
- Drafts terms of references for specialized short-term experts; hires and manages the short-term experts, including quality control of their outputs, in line with GIZ regulations
- Suggests necessary changes and improvements to the existing regulations and concept note relating to the implementation of the ECOWAS Tax Transition Programme (TTP);
- Develops and implements cooperation concepts with continental and regional institutions working on taxation to develop capacities on topical tax issue
- Assists with general project planning as demanded and develops project concepts including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- Assists with day-to-day project management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting);
- Provides regular updates to the Head of Component, Trade Facilitation on the progress of activities;
- Actively participates and contributes to GIZ team meetings, cluster meetings and any other GIZ events as requested
- Undertakes other related tasks as assigned by the Head of Component, Trade Facilitation.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- ECOWAS citizens with a minimum of Masters/MSc in economics, business administration, law or an equivalent qualification in taxation or a related fit.
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant professional experience in taxation at the national and/or regional level in West Africa;
- A minimum of eight (8) years capacity development and training experience to senior public officials on taxation
- Professional consulting experience, preferably in an international context, would be highly desirable;
- Established contacts to relevant ECOWAS actors and networks are regarded as assets;
Additional professional competences
- Excellent language skills in English and French (close cooperation with both ECOWAS and UEMOA required)
- Excellent writing and reporting skills in English and French
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a multilingual and multicultural environment.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed;
- Active in acquiring new skills and to respond to upcoming tasks within the scope of the project
- Willingness to undertake regular travel throughout the ECOWAS region;
GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.