• Provides overall leadership at a strategic and state level for the program, and ensures that S2S vision and overall program goals are met.
• Work closely with UNICEF, SUBEB, MoE, local implementing partners, and other stakeholders, to ensure that the programme goals are achieved. Specific areas of concern are to facilitate the access to quality education opportunity for children, provision of learning kits to support children learning outcomes, capacity building to teachers and SBMC members. • Contributes to designing programmes and writing proposals for new or ongoing projects in line with S2S goals and strategic directions.
• For purposes of ensuring healthy collaboration between S2S work and other projects or initiatives in the state, the Program Officer will actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
Key Areas of Accountability
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, and in close coordination with the Field team
Programme development and Implementation:
• Lead the implementation of S2S education project activities in the state and in host communities
• Work with communities and stakeholders across the states to strengthen education, establish a community education committee in project locations to support the process. • Identify critical program gaps and vulnerabilities, and clarify roles, responsibilities and accountabilities to effectively address those gaps
• Ensure quality in the programme by building capacity of the local staff and teachers through training in pedagogy, psychosocial support, life skills, safeguarding etc. • Provide guidance to field-based education team on common standards, innovative strategies and approaches which ensure a capacity to address S2S Commitments for Children in Emergencies, and reflect good practice in emergency education responses
• Line management of the education project staff, volunteers and program facilitators • Prepare performance objectives together with program staff and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance.
Monitoring and Reporting:
• Development of appropriate and effective program monitoring systems to enable assessment of both the emergency response process and impact and to ensure delivery of results for children
• Prepare implementation reports, weekly, monthly or other periodical reports for S2S and funding partners
• Reporting on progress and documentation of best practices
• Support in development of communication materials, case studies and blogs.
Coordination and Networking:
• Working closely with the program manager to develop partnerships to leverage resources and ensure adequate funding consistent with S2S resource mobilisation strategy and emergency response plans
• Education advocacy activities
• Represent S2S programme in the coordination at state level; represent S2S at the State Education Sector Working Group meetings , working closely with UNICEF, MOE, SUBEB among others, to address issues related to strategic planning, roles and responsibilities of sector partners, and joint advocacy
- Education: Bachelor's degree
- Experience on donor funded projects particularly UN organizations
- Experience managing relationships with public sector and community stakeholders Fluency in Hausa language
- At least 2 year’s experience managing education development activities preferably in Northern Nigeria
- Experience in Monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of procedures related to institutional donors (UN agencies,)
- Completed NYSC
- Postgraduate degree in education development
- Project management certification