- Provide overall leadership at a strategic and program level for the sector, and ensures that Slum2School vision and overall program goals related to the sector are met.
- Work closely with UNICEF, SUBEB, MoE, local implementing partners, and other stakeholders, to ensure that the program goals are achieved. Specific areas of concern are to facilitate the access to quality educational opportunity for children, provision of learning kits to support children learning outcomes, capacity building to teachers and SBMC members.
- Provide managerial, technical, and administrative support to the partners.
- Contributing to designing programs and writing proposals for new or ongoing projects in line with S2S goals and strategic directions.
- For purposes of ensuring healthy collaboration between S2S work and other projects or initiatives in the North-Eastern region, the Program Manager will actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
Key Areas of Accountability:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Programs, and in close coordination with the Field Manager Programme Development and Implementation:
- Lead the implementation of S2S education project activities in the North Central Region in host communities
- Work with communities and stakeholders across the states to strengthen education, establish a community education committee in project locations to support the process.
- Identify critical program gaps and vulnerabilities, and clarify roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities to effectively address those gaps
- Ensure quality in the program by building the capacity of the local staff and teachers through training in pedagogy, psychosocial support, life skills, safeguarding, etc.
- Provide guidance to field-based education team on common standards, innovative strategies and approaches which ensure a capacity to address S2S Commitments for Children in Emergencies, and reflect good practice in emergency education responses
- Line management of the project staff, volunteers, and state-level Program Officers
- Prepare performance objectives together with program staff and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Contribute to the development of appropriate and effective program monitoring systems to enable assessment of both the emergency response process and impact and to ensure delivery of results for children
- Prepare reports, weekly, monthly, or other periodical reports for S2S and funding partners Reporting on progress and documentation of best practices
- Support in the development of communication materials, case studies, and blogs.
Coordination and Networking:
- Working closely with the HQ team to develop partnerships and ensure adequate funding consistent with S2S resource mobilization strategy and emergency response plans
- Advocate for, and support, the development of sustainable, child-friendly, and hazard-resistant standards and designs for learning centers.
- Represent S2S program in the coordination at regional levels; represent S2S at the State Education Sector Working Group meetings, working closely with UNICEF, MOE, SUBEB among others, to address issues related to strategic planning, roles and responsibilities of sector partners, and joint advocacy
- Education: Postgraduate degree in education development or related field
- Experience in donor-funded projects particularly UN organizations
- Experience managing relationships with public sector stakeholders
- Fluency in the Hausa language
- At least 3 year’s experience managing education development activities preferably in Northern Nigeria
- Experience in Monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of procedures related to institutional donors (UN agencies)
- Completed NYSC
Project management certification
Experience in grant management
Location: Northern Nigeria