Location: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, Africa Disaster Risk Financing (ADRiFi) programme, the Climate Finance Specialist assignment will include, but not limited, to the following:
- Lead appraisal missions / teams to design complex disaster risk management country projects for Board approval.
- Facilitate the elaboration of Disaster Risk Financing (DRF) strategies in countries participating in ADRiFi implementation to galvanize funds from various sources including national budgets to address respective layers of climate-related risks.
- Train and sensitize policy makers and decision makers for the implementation of DRF strategies in respective countries.
- Contribute to the design of new DRF instruments, such as Catastrophic Bonds that can be used by participating countries in financing disaster risks.
- Facilitate development of risk profiles, designing early warning systems and elaboration of contingency plans in the countries, and support the preparation of Final Implementation Plans (FIPs) for operationalizing activities following disaster, insurance payout and supporting victims of disasters, such as smallholder farmers, rural women and children.
- Liaise with implementing partners for all technical matters related to risk assessment, product design, insurance premium calculation.
- Asses the overall climate finance architecture in respective countries, including government budgets, international donors, lending agencies, and for the management of disaster risks.
- Review and analyse the various national provisions that govern the funding and management of climate change related activities in respective countries.
- Propose plans for mobilization of new and additional resources for climate investment in respective countries.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Director, Agricultural Finance and Rural Development and/or the Programme Coordinator, Africa Disaster Risk Financing (ADRiFi) programme.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Climate Change Management, Agriculture, Economics, Finance or any discipline that is relevant to the assignment;
- Have a minimum of six (6) years (for the PL4 role) or five (5) years (for the PL5 role), of relevant professional experience in Environmental Science, Climate Change Management, Agriculture Finance or any discipline that is relevant to the assignment;
- Demonstrated depth of understanding of climate change financing as well as climate change mitigation and adaptation measures;
- Proven ability to manage and deliver products in a timely manner and handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Expertise and substantial experience in one or more key areas of public financial management, in particular budget management;
- Strong expertise and knowledge of institutional change, the challenges of policy reform and capacity development, particularly in Africa, and demonstrated leadership, project management and team working skills;
- Experience in fragile states and knowledge of international development agency practices would be desirable;
- Experience of sovereign disaster risk financing in either a developed or developing country context desire;
- Excellent working knowledge of insurance products and institutional structures for large insurance / cat risk insurance programs;
- Ability to fit in an international and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language; and
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
The African Development Bank (AFDB) on behalf of the Africa Disaster Risk Financing Multi-Donor Trust Fund (ADRiFi MDTF) which is the employer for this position posts this advertisement. Engagement as staff of ADRiFi MDTF does not offer any expectation for future employment as staff in the AfDB.