In addition to these functions, employees are required to carry out such duties as may reasonably be required
Clinical & Professional Responsibilities:
- Triage patients requesting urgent appointments via the telephone advising them of the necessary action to take. Assess and examine patients attending the Triage Clinic seeking advice from the Doctors on duty as necessary.
- Prepare prescriptions for patients according to the practice prescribing formulary and present to the ‘Triage Doctor’ for signature. Working within the boundaries of the triage protocols.
- Undertake the following procedures adhering to practice policies and following the practice protocols and guidelines:
- Patient Assessment
- Ear Syringing
- Blood Pressure Checks including patient distribution & training for 24-hour blood pressure machine
- Patient distribution and training for use of cardio memo
- Dressing Ulcers & Wounds
- Eye Lavage
- Injections & Immunizations (Child & Travel Vaccination)
- Cervical Smears
- Undertake the collection of pathological specimens including intravenous blood samples, swabs, etc.
- Complete New Patient Medicals.
- To provide assessment, treatment, screening, health education services, and advice, working in accordance with the Nigerian Nursing Council Code of Conduct.
- Provide nursing treatments to patients independently or in participation with nurse colleagues and other clinicians with reference to agreed protocols and guidelines
- Provide general and specific health screenings to the practice patients (within agreed protocols and guidelines) with referral to general practitioners or other health professionals as necessary.
- Maintain continued education by attendance at courses and study days as deemed useful or necessary for professional development.
- To have the ability to work on own initiative, acknowledging limitations, and recognizing when a referral is needed.
- To be familiar with changes and progress in nursing care. Evaluating and adapting care using evidence-based practice, in consultation with colleagues as a forum for team education, development, and audit.
- Using evidence-based practice to assist in the formulation of practice philosophy, strategy, and policy
- Advise patients on general health care and minor ailments with referral to GPs as necessary.
- To set up new clinics and to monitor existing clinics to ensure smooth running and collection of statistics.
- To participate in research within the practice.
- Participate in the education of students of all disciplines.
- To be actively involved and engaged in the practice and wider team meetings and forums to promote communication and development.
Other Patient Services:
- Ensure compliance with patient confidentiality at all times, in line with current legislation.
- Ensure all patient information is accurate, easily accessible, and kept up-to-date.
- Maintain an accurate and efficient appointment system.
- Contribute to the development of new patient services
- As well as the nursing team there is a need to work closely with reception and office staff to ensure the smooth running of the practice, reporting any problems encountered to the relevant person.
- Liaise with Clerical Assistant to ensure claim forms and general office procedures are maintained:
- Letters sent to patients.
- There is also the need to establish and maintain good liaisons with other healthcare providers and agencies including hospitals and laboratories.
- Ensure the Practice Manager is informed of any matters arising or problems / potential problems.
Work hours: Normally 40 hours per week, subject to achievement of goals and objectives and the covering of vacant shifts.
Location: Lekki Phase1, Lagos.