- Review and revise content for accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
- Communicate and work with the production team to ensure that we publish content in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of Associated Press or Chicago Style.
- Ensure correct tone, voice, clarity, flow and structure of content.
- Ensure that content adheres to the in-house style guide.
- Write blurbs, ledes, headlines, and straplines.
- Compile and update style guides as required.
- Collaborate with the team to come up with fresh and creative ideas, keeping the audience in mind.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Stay abreast of the latest media trends and content best practices.
- Knowledge of SEO.
- Effective communication skills
- A background in journalism, English or a related field.
- Leadership and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of content management systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet research.
To excel in this role, you will have experience in developing and editing content, as well as excellent communication and organizational skills.
Why you probably should not apply (it’s not you, it’s us)
- We are a small growing team with a rate that isn’t as competitive as “big” players.
- You don’t like an open and flexible culture — we trust ourselves to be adults and get the work done. Our default is not to chase anyone down. If you can’t get work done without being micro-managed, you will find working with us horrible.
- You think “flexible” means being “I-can-work-as-little-as-possible.” Flexible means doing your best work when you think it works best for you and you deliver great value to us and you can prioritize your life, too. We don’t think sitting for hours in traffic to be at some office at 9 am is worth it.
- You hate learning new things. We’re constantly learning and trying new things; we understand this might not be your thing and that’s OK.
- You don’t enjoy writing clearly. We are remote-first and writing clearly helps reduce miscommunication; we understand if this isn’t your style.
- You’re a bigot. We seriously have zero tolerance for this. We have no tolerance for chauvinism, homophobia, sectarianism, racism, zealots, antifeminism, nepotism, and others of its kind.
If it’s a fit, here’s what we offer:
- Consistent workload
- Flexible deadlines (prioritizing your life balance)
- Stable work as part of a high-performing team
- Company-sponsored self-directed learning
- You will be part of a team working towards transforming legal practice across Africa