- Check the emergency trolley and other articles and take over from the previous duty nurse.
- Ensure the room/bed is ready to receive the patient.
- Receive the patient and direct the patient to the allotted bed.
- Ensure all patients are examined by the doctor as soon as they are warded.
- Ensure that the appropriate consent forms are signed by the patient/guardian.
- Assist the doctor on his/her round and in any procedure to be performed on the patient.
- Ensure the intensive monitoring of patients when required.
- Ensure High Alert / Narcotic drug record /register is maintained accurately and the drugs kept in safekeeping.
- Ensure adequate linen and other stocks are available in the ward.
- Ensure that the discharge documents are filled in with correct demographic details and the patient is discharged as per the instructions of the doctor.
- Maintains effective communication with other departments of the hospital, patients, and relatives.
- Assists in maintaining ward facilities and patient environment (hygiene, equipment and stocks).
- Orient the patient and relatives to the room/ward facilities politely and clearly with respect to telephone, call bell, toilet/bath, visiting time, meal timings, etc.
- Complete admission procedures, documentation, assessment etc.
- Prepare the patient for any specific procedures, take an appointment if needed with the concerned department and send the patient on time.
- Provide/supervise bed making, bed baths/oral hygiene/ back care/ bladder care etc. for patients who are not ambulatory.
- Provide/assist support staff to give bedpan/urinals and other requirements for patients as and when necessary.
- Inform the doctor of the progress of the patient.
- Administer medications -oral/ IM/ IV – as per the doctor’s instructions.
- Input all the data as may be required by the software package.
- Be prompt and alert in reporting any Sentinel or Incident occurrence. Cooperate in finding a solution for any such occurrence.
- Be vigilant about medication indenting and administration. Report any medication error.
- Contribute to maintaining staff discipline in the ward.
- Report any grievance and unusual occurrence in the ward to the Floor Coordinator/AMA.
- Hand over the ward/patients with complete information/instructions to the next nurse on duty.
- Responsible to undertake mandatory training at both levels – departmental as well as organizational.
- Maintain appropriate records in the ward as per hospital policy and National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH) standards.
- 5 years of nursing experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing / General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM)
Location: Ikoyi and Egbeda