Job Description (Lower Elementary Class Teacher)
- Our ideal candidate must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related discipline. Candidates must possess strong communication, organisational, and dynamic classroom management skills. Professional teamwork, peer collaboration, and a positive and kind spirit are required to contribute toward the important work of building relationships with students and families. Prior experience of a foreign language, music and art abilities would be a plus. Reliability, professionalism, experience working with children, excellent communication skills and a team player are essential.
- The candidate must be able to work with a mixed Curriculum, teaching a mixed age group classroom of 6-9yr old children.
- Adhere to WLMS guidelines and standards for the purpose of maintaining quality and excellence.
- Promote professionalism and ethical standards in all relationships in the school.
- Willingness to work hard and as part of a team for a common goal. Respectfully sets and enforces ground rules and classroom behaviour guidelines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effectively give directions
- Works well with others
- Passionate about contributing to the intellectual and emotional growth of children on a daily basis
- Must pass a background check
- Must have (or be willing to obtain) training and experience necessary to develop consistent, stable, and supportive relationships with young children.
Education and Experience
- N.C.E or a bachelors degree in education or a related field
- Prior teaching experience (including teaching practice)
- Bachelors degree in an education-related field
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Previous experience teaching in a Montessori setting
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and skill in instructional principles, methods and techniques of the Montessori program.
- Skill in obtaining, clarifying and exchanging information.
- Skill in classroom management.
- Skill in handling student discipline.
- Ability to organise and coordinate activities.
- Ability to serve as a role model and treat students as individuals in a professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multicultural, diverse setting.
- Ability to make supplemental learning materials for the classroom.
- Ability to fully participate as a team member in a professional learning community.
- Ability to embrace and incorporate Montessori philosophy.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision requirements include the ability to see at close range.
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding).
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. WLMS Administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalise peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
- WLMS supports our faculty with a competitive salary structure and benefits package, a program rooted in AMI standards, a commitment to professional development, beautiful and well-equipped classroom environments, strong administrative support, and a rich, working community of Montessori professionals. We are a diverse community that looking for someone to put down roots and become a part of our WLMS family. WLMS is an inclusive school that prides ourselves on meeting the needs of children with many different learning styles.
- This is a 12month, full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.