Duties & Responsibilities
• Ensure cost consciousness and savings in all head office department negotiations for settlement out of court or payment of Solicitors fees
• Make recommendations to Management for matters to be resolved amicably, where applicable
• Effective and proactive litigation portfolio management
• To prepare Leases on Bank Premises, Assignment, Bonds, etc.
• To prepare Deeds of Release of charges for sealing at the Company Secretariat
• To prepare legal Mortgage Forms and other documents for securitization of facilities.
• To arrange for searches at the Land Registry and Corporate Affairs Commission, Abuja through local external Solicitor.
• To monitor States Edicts and Federal Decrees particularly those affecting the operation of the Bank and to bring them to the attention of the Management.
• To pay the Solicitors fees on perfection using the approved scale of fees.
• To recommend to Management, the payment of external Solicitors bill in respect of litigation matters for approval.
• To attend Heads of Departments meetings and advice on legal issues arising at such meetings.
• To attend other meetings with Customers law enforcement agencies as may be required
• To recommend any suitable Solicitor to Head Office for inclusion as an external solicitor
• To write opinions on any contentious or unfavorable judgment in Court against any department and the Bank so as to enable Management take a decision as to filing a Motion for Stay of Execution and a Notice of Appeal
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
• Perfection of Securities and ensuring proper securitization of documents
• Regular visits to Branches to scrutinize perfected securities and ensure rectification
• To regularly liaise with external Solicitors handling Bank cases.
• To vet pleadings/draft agreements and securities prepared by external Solicitors and liaise with Head Office on issues arising therefrom
▪ Minimum education level –LL.B, B.L from a recognized University.
▪ 3- 5 years’ experience
KEY COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
▪ Accomplished lawyer with a strong background in corporate legal practice and proven ability to negotiate complex transaction and lead successful teams.
▪ An analytical thinker, effective communicator together with a capacity to interpret and assimilate large volumes of complex information and construct cogent arguments.
▪ Keen, conscientious, with a friendly disposition
▪ An efficient and reliable person, can work alone or as part of a team.
▪ Can work well under extreme pressure and remain calm with the ability to prioritize.
▪ A proactive person with ability to liaise with colleagues at all levels providing support and motivation.
• Personable and adaptable individual with excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills