- Assisting the Company’s Head, Legal and Compliance and the Group General Counsel in monitoring and procuring compliance (including by designing templates and reminder protocols as well as maintaining records of such compliance,) with reporting requirements under transaction documents as well as under statutes in order to insulate the business from negative consequences attendant to non-compliance.
2. Legal Advisory:
- Undertakes general legal research for the business, provides legal opinions on various issues; advises on and provides support on claims arising under contracts and any disputes arising with third parties in order to optimize the business’ legal rights and minimize its exposure to penalties.
3. Legal and Letter Writing:
- Prepares operational or day-to-day legal agreements and other documentation as well as strategic or day-to-day letters to advance the interests of the business.
4. Company Secretarial Support:
- Coordinating with the company secretary, filing of returns to the CAC; preparation of board resolutions and supporting the board meeting process so as to aid effective corporate governance of our Nigerian registered companies.
5. Legal Support for the Lender Engagement Process:
- Supporting the Company’s Head, Legal and Compliance and the General Counsel in the review and anchoring of consent/waiver requests; and in attending to lender queries.
6. Service Provider Relations:
- Supporting the management of external counsel on legal opinion/document preparation and other legal support issues; monitoring and following up on periodic administrative deliverables under project contracts with contractors/subcontractors to optimise the position of the business.
7. Legal support to the Audit and ABC and KYC processes:
- Attending to know your customer requests from stakeholders; assisting with the implementation of the relevant ABC policies including creating template documents; and supporting the audit function, to facilitate probity.
8. Communications and Reporting:
- Supporting the legal department in the filing of all official correspondence, and in providing input on all relevant reporting activities.
9. Sponsor Support:
- Generally attending to requests for support from the Group General Counsel from time to time.
Other tasks or duties assigned;
- Liaising with user departments to resolve legal issues.
Work Guideline and References:
- Full suite of legal and contractual documentation including all relevant project and finance documents
- ESPR Act and NERC Guidelines
- Generation License
- Other Laws and Statutory Instruments
Education and Experience:
- A good university degree in Law and call to the Nigerian bar with hands-on experience in Corporate and Commercial law and litigation.
- Minimum Education: LL.B/BL
- Between 3 to 6 years post-qualification experience as a lawyer
- Project Finance
- Legal and commercial framework of the Nigerian Power Sector
- Added Advantage: Worked in a similarly Project-financed company with an understanding of project finance documentation
- Possesses international legal experience
- Understanding of energy and finance contracts
- Experience in an in-house counsel role
- ICSAN Membership
- Nigeria Bar Association
Key Competency Requirements:
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong clear writing skills
- Strong research skills
- Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Good understanding of corporate law
- Must be prepared to be flexible in relation to required working hours
Key Performance Indicator:
- Quality of verbal and written advice, including the drafting of agreements, opinions and letters
- Quality of legal research
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Promptness and effectiveness in service delivery
- Interaction with all relevant Company’s team members and third-party representatives.
- A flexible approach to the performance of required tasks
Salary Range: N5,800,000 to N6,000,000 Annual Gross