- Ensure full compliance with all relevant tax laws applicable to the Shipping and Logistics Companies (CIT, EDT, PAYE, WHT, VAT, TP, CRS, etc);
- Monitor and ensure compliance with established company policies and recommended amendments to the existing policies.
- Carry out investigations, communicate the reports to management for effective decisions making.
- Ensure compliance with the recommended process and make sure it is effective and efficient.
- Supervise daily financial transactions by ensuring compliance with the company policies
- Monitor budget and present variance analysis report
- Ensure compliance with accounting procedures and processes.
- Establish internal control systems and ensure compliance with policies and procedures and make recommendations for improvements
- Perform regular substantive tests to identify and resolve accounting issues
- Identify accounting issues and perform the necessary research to resolve such issues
- Engage in regular management meetings to discuss findings of investigations, identify risk areas and make recommendations.
- Advice management on the proper choice of accounting policies especially tax-related issues such as VAT input and application of WHT to set off income tax.
- Assist the accountant in finalizing the preparation of financial statements, before presentation to both external auditors and tax auditors.
- Attend the reconciliation meeting with the tax auditor and do a meeting with external tax consultants and external auditors.
- Ensure proper follow up of the internal audit plans for the year
- Preparation of variance analysis of actual performance and budgeted activities on weekly, month, quarterly, and yearly, identifying the causes and make recommendations for a way forward.
- Supervise and assist in the treatment of tax transactions such as monthly VAT, WHT, CGT, and PAYE returns
- Effective interaction and communication with both external and tax auditors
Education: A good Bachelor’s Degree/HND in a business or finance-related discipline.
Professional accounting membership and certification will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in sage 50 Accounting and Quickbooks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office Programs
- Sound knowledge of best practices in financial management
- Knowledge of existing regulatory framework
- Knowledge of maritime and shipping industry and economic environment
PREFERRED LOCATION: Living close to Apapa and its environs would be an added advantage
- Strategic thinking & strategic management skills
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- People skills
- Team spirit
SALARY: Attractive and Negotiable