• In support of senior leadership, s/he coordinates routine employee performance reviews, job description development and updates, and develops professional development programs. In addition, the HR Manager coordinates employee recruitment, onboarding, and new employee orientation.
• S/he has a primary responsibility for oversight of human resources legal compliance, management of employee data/HRIS system, research and management of employee benefits packages, and coordinates with the Finance team for payroll-related updates as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities Human Resources Policy & Compliance:
• Ensure company’s human resources compliance; stay abreast of federal, state, local and global employee, and payroll law changes; coordinate with executive management and relevant stakeholders to research, draft and implement internal policy changes as needed
• Ensure any employee complaints are addressed within the law and internal policy.
• Work in conjunction with key stakeholders for any severe human resources policy violations, or employee-related legal claims or actions.
• Research and develop human resources policies and procedures, including Employee.
• Complete required HR-related filings, audits and reports, for external regulatory entities.
• Serve as a resource to employees and management to interpret general human resources policy, e.g. benefits, payroll and time off policies, complaint and discipline policies, etc.
General HR Management:
• Prepare HR (strategy and goals) reports for executive management, departments, as requested
• Ensure HR procedures are carried out and comply with employment law and regulations.
• Manage employee onboarding, orientation, routine performance reviews, as well as exit interviews, in conjunction with management and administrative staff.
• Track company HR budget and ensure it stays on target
• Manage (electronic) personnel files, employee records and employee data
• Work with senior management to create and update job descriptions
• Develop employee packets and templates, e.g. onboarding, performance reviews, exits
• Perform ongoing background checks, periodic employee paperwork audits, per policy and procedure requirements
• Identify employee conflicts and suggest potential solutions.
Employee Benefits Management & Payroll Support:
• Review and monitor staff benefits, including (paid) time off.
• Coordinate new hire and annual employee benefits enrollment for Nigeria office.
• Provide payroll/finance staff payroll-related updates in a timely manner, including employee hires or exits, salary, benefits or other withholding changes.
• Process/track time off approvals in coordination with payroll staff
• Conduct salary research, annual review of existing employee compensation, assist department Heads and executive management in payroll budgeting and projections.
Employee Recruitment & Retention:
• Create and implement recruitment strategies, in conjunction with executive and senior management.
• Post job opportunities, conduct direct recruiting and develop talent pipeline, as directed by senior management.
• Manage application process; conduct initial screening of applications to short-list candidates; coordinate application review with hiring managers and department heads.
• Conduct reference and/or background checks for short-listed candidates
• Conduct interviews; coordinate finalist phone/video/in-person interviews with hiring managers, senior and/or executive management
• Prepare offer letters and compensation packages in conjunction with management.
• Create and implement retention strategies, in conjunction with executive management.
• Research external professional development opportunities, conferences; contract with training organizations, as needed.
• Develop internal professional development programs, conduct annual training, etc.
• In conjunction with management, create and track employee professional development plans, including role-specific continuing education requirements
• Schedule and coordinate company-wide employee (in-person and virtual) training, as well as site, department and role-specific training needs
Requirements Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills
• Strong organizational savvy and attention to detail
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
• High degree of proficiency with MS Office, including advanced email & calendar management, word processing, spreadsheet, and database skills
• Ability to work independently to perform a wide range of duties, high level of integrity and dependability
• Knowledge of HR and payroll-related laws, legal requirements, mandated reports
• Strong research skills, and ability to interpret legal and policy requirements
• Strong proficiency in analyzing information, compiling data and preparing reports
• Cross-cultural competency: ability to work with a diverse team
Education & Certifications:
• Bachelor's Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field required
• Professional HR qualification is strongly preferred
• 5+ years’ experience as a Human Resources Manager or similar role
• Experience developing and conducting new hire orientation and/or other employee training required
• Experience researching and drafting HR policies and procedures, strongly preferred
• Experience creating employee forms, templates, packets, required
• 2-3 years of supervisory experience, is a plus
• Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment; experience in rapidly growing companies, preferred
• Experience working in a company based in multiple locations, preferred, global experience is a plus.