- A seasoned professional who will establish a comprehensive HSE program for the IPP and the transmission and distribution systems in accordance with the company policy, all relevant government health and safety regulations and legislation as well as the relevant international standards.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Science subject plus appropriate HSE certification.
- 7 years post qualification experience including at least 5 years of service at the managerial or supervisory level working as a HSE officer within the energy industry. Knowledge of laws dealing with the HSE in general and occupational health and safety as well as community health and safety is highly desirable. Familiarity with IFC/World Bank Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines and Performance Standards will be an advantage.
- Reports to General Manager and Deputy General Manager.
- Developing detailed HSE Policy for the Power Plant and T&D Systems
- Supervising development of detailed HSE manuals for every department within the Power Plant and T&D System
- Supervising development of detailed Emergency plans and procedures for every department within the Power Plant and T&D System
- Coordinating HSE plans and Emergency procedures with the HSE officer of the Gas Plant
- Coordinating HSE plans and Emergency procedures with the HSE officer of the EDSG Injection Substation
- Managing integrated HSE system for the Power Plant and T&D System
- Manage and ensure compliance with the company HSE by contractors and sub-contractors working in the Power Plant and the T&D System
- Conduct HSE training and updates for all staff
- Conduct HSE training orientation for all new staff and employees
- Responsibility for the safety signage for the Power Plant and T&D System.
- Responsibility for all safety-related documentation and archiving
- Frequently walk-through and inspect all high risk work areas within the Power Plant and T&D System.
- Supervise hygiene and housekeeping conditions within the Power Plant to high industry standards
- Investigating all accidents and incidents in the workplaces within the Power Plant and T&D System and reporting directly to the Board of Directors
- Liaising with regulators and law enforcement agencies, as appropriate
- Submitting policy proposals to the Board of Directors on the best ways to avoid and prevent incidents and accidents
- Reviewing and reporting on staff, employees and contractor compliance with HSE rules and recommending commendations or dismissal/termination based on performance
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to lead change processes
- A high level of administrative skills
- The ability to work with discretion
- Systematic working style
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Thorough understanding of HSE legislation relating to the Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution sectors
- Thorough understanding of international HSE Guidelines.