The candidate will be responsible for operating the roller by using either rollers or drums to compress/compact dirt, aggregate, or blacktop. The operator may use the vibration component occasionally.
- Safely operates roller to compress/compact dirt, aggregate, or blacktop to achieve the specified grading and smooth surface.
- Reads grade stakes and works with grade checker, laser, or GPS to maintain grade.
- Determines speed and direction of roller based on knowledge of compressible material to achieve a smooth grade and/or surface.
- Works closely with other crew members using hand signals to coordinate work and ensure safety.
- Performs daily inspection and maintenance and ensures that roller is in safe, proper working order including fluid checks and proper lubrication. Reports to shop when roller needs maintenance and repair.
- Keeps roller clean and prepares equipment for transport on a flatbed when needed.
- Maintains orderliness, cleanliness, and safety at job-site.
- Other duties as assigned.