- Grill management – grill cooks should know everything that is on their grill and how long everything has been cooking to prevent over and undercooking
- Menu memorization – knowing everything on the menu and how to prepare it is essential to the grill cook’s role. Successful grill cook should be able to memorize the menu in a short period of time
- Physical stamina – grill cooks spend their entire shift on their feet, and they should be able to do that with ease.
- Time management – grill cooks need to manage their time efficiently to get food out to customers quickly. S/He should also use time management to keep food cooking appropriately
- Communication skills – since grill cooks work with several different people at once, they need to be skilled communicators. S/He should also be skilled at conflict management to ensure interpersonal problems don’t interrupt the kitchen’s flow