- Regular Review of entity chart of accounts for accuracy, adequacy, and alignment with group directives.
- Review of draft trial balance for reasonableness, investigation of unusual entries, and correction of wrong entries and omissions.
- Maintain an up-to-date schedule of provisions and accruals covering all present unsettled business obligations (including tax where necessary) and keep appropriate documentation.
- Ensure transactions are promptly and accurately posted in the transactional systems.
- Manage General ledger and Subsidiary Ledger reconciliations (including bank, debtors, inventory, creditors, fixed assets, and intercompany accounts).
- Effectively partner with Supply Chain Unit to ensure the business maintains the desired level of inventory across all store locations in a cost-efficient manner and at optimized investment levels.
- Drive active measures to reduce losses, damages, and misappropriation of inventory.
- Collect, consolidate, and report at regular intervals on critical inventory-related indices such as quantity, age, and status of inventory items with actionable recommendations.
- Coordinate with the Supply Chain team to conduct monthly inventory counts and prepare reconciliation schedules; partner effectively with all stakeholders to investigate and resolve variances and pass adjustments where required.
- Conduct inventory impairment reviews with sufficient regularity (incorporating inputs from management) to ensure accuracy of the carrying amounts reflected in the financials.
- Periodic revaluation of foreign currency denominated monetary items and booking of P&L effects in line with acceptable standards.
- Act as the key contact person for all audits, coordinating requests from auditors, submission, and retrieval of documents; attend to all audit queries within primary area of responsibility.
- Maintain up-to-date fixed assets register with appropriate classifications and to the level of detail required for the provision of insightful analysis and reporting.
- Ensure asset creation, transfers, and disposals follow relevant local and group guidelines, and that all movements are appropriately captured and reported in the period-end analysis.
- Ensure all charges/losses/gains relating to depreciation, impairment, and disposals are recorded in line with prevailing accounting standards.
- Maintain project control statement covering all ongoing projects, highlighting on a periodic basis, budget-spend variances, and ensuring significant overspends are flagged and addressed.
- Ensure all asset acquisitions receive appropriate approvals and are in line with the budget; track and maintain all documentation required for CAFA (Capital allowance claims) and liaise with consultants to ensure all qualifying capital expenditure is included in the annual CAFA returns.
- Co-ordinate and lead triennial fixed assets tagging and verification exercise, highlighting, investigating, and resolving any differences between physically identified assets and the fixed assets register.
- Liaise with the FC/CFO and 3rd party insurers to ensure all ongoing projects and assets have appropriate insurance covers and that all significant risks of asset loss are effectively mitigated.
- Coordinate period-end closings, effective management of cutovers, and maintenance of accounting periods in the transactional system.
Relationship Management & Other Tasks:
- Relate with various departmental heads & staff to obtain relevant data & info.
- Carry out any further tasks for which your qualifications & experience are suited and as may be directed by management.
Education, Technical Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in any numerate discipline
- Qualified Accountant, 4 - 6 years experience in Finance or accounting-related function
- Membership of professional bodies, ACA, ACCA, CITN
- Practical knowledge of financial accounting principles and associated standards
- Strong ERP exposure (appreciation of back-end setups and how they impact outcome)
- Strong MS office working knowledge especially MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and capable of working in a complex and challenging environment.
- Proven ability to design and effectively operate financial controls.
- Very good communication and influence at all levels of management
- Experience in implementation of shared service structure for accounting operations
- Positive attitude and ability to work in a team.
Other Behavioural Attributes:
- Open-minded and able to work in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to frame issues and define practical solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate across the board within and outside the organization.
- Thoroughness and attention to detail