Key Roles and Responsibilities:
A. General and Funds Management
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the operations of the finance department, employees including finance officers and accountants
- Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Maintain banking relationships
- Assist in determining the firm’s proper capital structure
- Manage or contract outside services for tax preparation, auditing, banking, investments, and other financial needs as necessary
- Track the company's financial status and performance to identify areas for potential improvement
- Seek out methods for minimizing financial risk to the firm
- Research and analyze financial reports and market trends
- Provide insightful information and expectations to senior executives to aid in long-term and short-term decision making
- Review financial data and prepare monthly and annual reports
- Present financial reports to Partners, management committee members, stakeholders, and clients in formal meetings
- Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes
- Understand and adhere to financial regulations, legislation, and reporting standards.
- Manage the preparation of the firm's budget
- Report to management on variances from the established budget, and the reasons for those variances
- Assist management in the formulation of its overall strategic direction
C. Financial Analysis
- Engage in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the firm
- Review the performance of competitors and report on key issues to management
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement
- Interpret the firm's financial results to management and recommend improvement activities
- Participate in target costing activities to create products that meet predetermined price goals
- Assist in the determination of service pricing in relation to services offered and competitor pricing
- Compile key business metrics and report on them to management
- Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis
- Create additional analyses and reports as requested by management
Job Attribute and Skills:
- Strong financial reporting, analyses, and forecasting skills
- Good presentation skills (financial reporting)
- Excellent communication and IT skills.
- Confident, organized, and pragmatic team lead
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills.
- Strong sales and negotiation techniques.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be able to think critically, present ideas and views clearly, and with confidence to people at all levels, including partners and clients.
- Deep understanding of business and financial principles and practices
- Exceptional ability to confidently discuss financial matters with a diverse base of potential/existing clients.
- Proven ability to acquire new business. An innovative and productive approach to business development.
- Good team player with the ability to motivate staff
- Ability to formulate and manage a successful calling program in order to meet and exceed quarterly and annual targets.
- Ability to manage interpersonal conflicts within the work environment
- Articulate and well organized with a highly developed sense of priorities.
- Persuasive and credible among clients and colleagues. Adaptable, flexible, and able to thrive on challenges whilst handling a multitude of tasks and responsibilities.
- Self-motivated with drive, energy, and initiative. Integrity, honesty, and total commitment to the requirement to maintain client confidentiality.
- Demonstrable interest in local and international law, economics, and politics
Experience and Qualification:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics, or related fields.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Accountant (ACCA/ACA), or Certified Management Accountant designations.
- MBA/Master’s degree in a relevant field is a plus
- A suitable candidate should have extensive knowledge of relevant accounting and reporting standards.
- An established record of professional services and/or management consulting experience with a focus on financial advisory is preferred.
- Good industry knowledge and a strong network as well as experience in professional services or law firm environment.
- Strong industry presence of 7 – 10 years of directly relevant experience in a business, finance-related position, including experience in a large law firm or professional services firm.