1. Edits and/or proofreads manuscripts and other forms of copy for publication, making stylistic, structural and grammatical corrections, as well as other substantive changes as needed.
2. Keyboards and proofreads materials prior to publication using a variety of computer software, or directs others in same.
3. May perform layout work of a detailed and complex nature, coordinates multiple production schedules and maintains printing deadlines for same.
4. May coordinate editorial, design and production aspects of a wide variety of materials for production, as well as post-production activities, such as mailing, mail house arrangements, registrations of copyright, etc.
5. May provide assistance of a general office nature for immediate supervisor, department head or others involved in editorial program of the larger unit.
6. May confer with author, author's representative or client on content, form, style, price, etc., and perform manuscript revision.
7. May oversee compilation and proofreading of indexes and tables of contents. may research and request permission for reproduction of material to be published.
8. May write and/or report on and publish copy for department/school/ University publications using appropriate desktop publishing methods. 9. Maintains contact with author, printer, faculty, staff and others directly concerned with the published work, following through on specified requests and tasks.
10. May assist in training, scheduling and distributing work to other staff members, students, casuals and temporary workers.
11. Contributes to unit goals by accomplishing related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Arts preferred, preferably in English or a related field.
Skills and Experience:
- Four or more years' related experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of printing, publishing, and graphic arts procedures and related computer software.
- Excellent keyboarding and other computer skills. Excellent command of vocabulary, spelling, grammar and writing skills.
- Competency using a variety of computer software, may require advanced knowledge of word-processing, desktop publishing, and graphics software packages. Editing test may be required.