The objectives of the formative research are:
1. Identify farmers’ agricultural and business practices, as well as barriers and enablers for applying innovations promoted by the GAIE.
2. Identify relevant topics for the radio programmes based on consultations with GIAE, smallholder farmers and key stakeholders
3. Identify suitable radio stations commonly listened to by farmers to implement the pilot project
4. Assess the potential outreach of the selected radio stations
5. Develop a road map for the implementation of the radio programme 6. Identify and analyse potential sponsors and their communication needs, as well as key institutions/stakeholders that can contribute to a sustainable radio programming.
A formative research is qualitative and participatory in nature, and in normal circumstances, it features focus group discussions, community visits, key informant interviews and stakeholder meetings, sponsors meetings etc. The research results guide the design of programs based on key and priority areas demanded by farmers and key stakeholders.
The contracted institution/organization/consultant will conduct field research in relevant states using ADP services and other experienced individuals living within the communities as needed. The research will include a number of focus group discussions with smallholder farmers, interviews with key stakeholders from the public and private sector including partners of GIAE and discussion with radio stations in the region. The process should be conducted using safe approaches and following covid-19 prevention measures and laws in place.
The research will be conducted in close collaboration with FRI and GIAE and will require meetings to coordinate the activities and meet with representatives from the Federal Ministry for Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD).
All outcomes will be summarized per value chain in a research report with key recommendations which will provide the basis for the implementation of the planned radio programmes.
V. Deliverables & activities
Key expected activities:
1. Desk review of GIAE research results
2. Stakeholder consultations in Kaduna, Kano, Benue, Nasarawa, parts of Cross River, Ogun and Oyo states and Abuja
3. Identify at least one suitable radio station for the implementation of an agricultural radio programme in each state
4. Determine audience preferences (e.g. language, time, days, program hosts, etc.) and current knowledge, attitudes and practices related to the maize, rice and cassava value chains and specific GAP and business practices.
5. Radio stations identification and recommendation for selection 6. Identification and analyses of promising sponsors and their communication needs, and institutional/programmatic opportunities for sustainability
The expected deliverables include:
1. A list including all suitable radio stations with the expected outreach considering the preferences of farmers
2. A research report summarizing the major findings and providing recommendations on the implementation of the radio program
3. A table analysing promising sponsors and their communication needs, as well as institutional and programmatic opportunities for sustainability.
The institution/organization/consultant should have substantive experience in conducting research regarding the implementation of radio or other relevant development programmes on farm level working closely with smallholder farmers and rural radio stations. Knowledge of the agricultural sector is expected.
Work experience in Africa is required and experience implementing projects in Nigeria is desirable. The institution/organization/consultant should have great communication skills and excellent written and verbal skills in English language.
The consultant/firm should demonstrate capacity for training, organization, conducting and reporting of the study. He / She will be under the supervision of the Project Manager and Country Representative and will work closely with the Global FRI team. The consultant must have:
● A University degree in relevant field;
● Demonstrated expertise in qualitative research study design, tool development, data collection, data analysis and production of reports ;
● Previous experience in the areas targeted by the study is an added advantage;
● Good experience in using participatory approaches;
● Ability to manage a team, work under pressure and produce quality work within short deadlines;
● Fluency in English written and oral communication;