● As a member of the senior management team, make key contributions to the formulation of the company’s short and long-term sales and marketing strategies to drive business growth.
● Responsible for planning, implementation, managing all the sales activities of BG including setting revenue and activity targets for team members, existing customer /farmer member retention, new customer /farmer member acquisition, and product pricing.
● Report sales performance against budget and any variances.
● Manage and optimize the product portfolio to target different customer segments.
● Identify, design and implement customer-centri process improvements within the business
● Lead efforts in recruiting, managing and retaining our small-holder farmers
● Ensure critical inputs (seeds, fertilizers etc) are distributed to our farmer members on-time, conveniently and cost-effectively.
● Deeply understand customer needs and adjust service delivery model to efficiently serve our farmer members
● Pilot, measure and iterate on new acquisition and expansion models to allow the business reach its ambitious scale targets of 1 million farmers by 2025
● Optimize our logistics, warehousing and storage and distribution models to reduce transportation costs, handling costs and minimize inventory loss.
● Leverage technology and introduce new and innovation solutions to improve our business operations across the life cycle.
Leadership and Team Development
● Ensure, on an ongoing basis, that current and planned sales and operations strategy are aligned with company business objectives.
● Work with team to closely track targets, achieve key milestones and be dynamically adjust strategy to changing market realities and constraints.
● Hire, develop, evaluate and retain a strong team of sales and operations professionals.
● Foster and reward a strong performance driven culture of owning and exceeding targets.
● Ensure that the sales organization operates with integrity and to the highest ethical standards.
● Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the most critical Sales and Operations positions
● Partner with business unit leaders and other functional heads to create and execute robust business plans that significantly expand the business to reach our goal of 1 million farmers.
● Define data-driven action strategies to consistently optimize BG’s commercial performance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
● Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university in Marketing, Business Administration, Business Management or any related field
● 10+ years of progressively responsible sales and operations management experience in a fast growing organization preferably in an emerging market and /or agribusiness.
● An advanced degree or MBA is highly desirable
● Proven and successful ability to lead a large team towards growth in increased sales volumes, revenue generation and operational improvements
● Experience with and thrives in a fast paced, start-up environment with dynamic business priorities
● Data-driven decision-making and analytical mindset with excellent problem-solving skills and strong business acumen.
● Ability to navigate a diverse range of stakeholders including senior executive teams, corporate boards, young professionals as well as bottom of the pyramid customers.
● Exceptional people leadership and and communication skills (both oral and written) with an ability to articulate ideas in a persuasive manner.
● An entrepreneurial mindset coupled with an ability to inspire confidence and create trust while working under pressure.
● Passionate, self-driven individual who achieves results through team work and collaborative approaches.