Location: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Under the overall supervision and general guidance of the Division Manager, Financial Solutions, the Investment Officer (Origination) will perform the following:
- Coordinate the delivery of flagships as relevant to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy objectives;
- Lead the structuring of projects involving public and private sector participation (e.g. in the form of IPP, project finance operations, and corporate loans) in close coordination with Hub teams, Power Systems, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Teams;
- Work across the energy value chain and be involved in new business processing until funding is secured;
- Contribute towards developing a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge;
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, leasing, capital markets solutions, etc.;
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions;
- Lead/participate in the negotiation of finance documentation, develop financial solutions and overcome bottlenecks in the transaction life-cycle;
- Provide feedback on energy project documents, including Investment Agreement, shareholders’ Agreement, Concession Agreements, Power Purchase Agreements, Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) Contracts, Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Agreements, Fuel Supply Agreements, etc.;
- Have a thorough understanding of the energy value chain including utilities, energy markets, major operators, and technologies;
- Develop a good understanding of project and concession financing, tendering of IPP projects, policy issues, license conditions, tariff regimes, and collaborate on these matters as appropriate with sector policy specialists and government regulators and officials;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, especially regional IPP developers and sponsors, utilities, corporates, banking, and multilateral partners, and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities;
- Support/advise and when necessary lead the evaluation, structuring, negotiation of new transactions;
- Proven experience in coordinating lenders under a lead arranger mandate;
- Have an appreciation of applicable capital markets and leasing solutions that may be employed in financing the energy sector;
- Lead/Participate and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff;
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Division Manager or Director.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Business, and/or a professional qualification such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Accountant (ACCA) or related subjects.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years relevant working experience in financial structuring in the energy value chain gained from within a Commercial/Investment Bank, Development Finance Institution, Energy Utility, Infrastructure/Private Equity Fund, Sovereign Wealth Fund, Energy Project Developer, established Accounting/Consulting Firm, etc.;
- Proven ability to identify, process and negotiate complex transactions in the energy sector from a private-sector standpoint and in particular related to Independent Power Projects (IPP) investments and corporate financing;
- Ability to review and understand complex financial models; proven ability to construct financial models from scratch would be a bonus
- Appreciation of company valuation techniques, corporate and project finance concepts as well as capital markets solutions.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Communication: Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas
- Client orientation and team working skills
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competent in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
This position is classified as international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.