Location: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Under the overall supervision of the Director – SNFI, the Chief Fiduciary Inspection Specialist will perform the following duties:
- Contribute to the development of the fiduciary inspection policy, procedures and detailed guidelines on the processes to be followed by the Inspection Section;
- Contribute to the designing of templates, tools such as surveys, questionnaires…etc. to be used by the Inspection Section staff while performing their inspection duties;
- Conduct reviews on quality at entry of Bank Group operations to ascertain the adequacy and compliance of procurement and financial management arrangements with the relevant policies ;
- Conduct an independent physical verification on the ground of selected flagged Bank projects to ensure that the disbursement corresponds to the physical progress on the ground and that the Bank’s resources are being used as intended and are bringing value to the beneficiaries they are intended to serve.
- Analyze the results of surveys and questionnaires and interviews with the aim of ensuring that the Bank’s resources are being used as intended and are bring, identify gaps and shortfalls, propose corrective measures and make recommendations for future Bank operations;
- Ensure, in close collaboration with concerned Sectors and Safeguards & Compliance departments, that the borrower has taken measures to ensure that contractors on the ground are conforming to the conditions of the contract- particularly as regards the core-conditions of the ILO (use of child labor, payment of fair wages, safety and security at the site, etc.) ;
- Support the procurement and sectoral functions by reviewing unit rates, the quality of the outputs of Bank projects and support the FM function in ensuring that financial management arrangements are robust enough to capture weaknesses in implementing reliable and effective financial audit;
- Review the findings of the supervision reports of the Bank in relation to fiduciary functions and ensure that they capture the progress and the challenges adequately.
- Identify required technical expertise from within or outside the Bank to contribute to the inspection in view of the type of project under consideration;
- Contribute to the development of the inspection yearly report or the inspection input to the department’s annual report ;
- Provide technical guidance to the Principal/Senior Inspection Specialist and other staff of the section while performing their duties;
- Design training material and deliver training on the inspection function when required;
- Provide the inspection related information to other Bank departments;
- Provide the inspection related input to various Bank’s reports when required and contribute to respond to any Board enquiry concerning inspection; and
- Identify and recommend training and capacity building needs to the inspection staff.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a master’s degree in an engineering or business administration or law or procurement or economics or accounting with a minimum of a professional accounting certification (CPA, CA, ACCA, finance, or a related discipline
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in providing procurement or financial management support and advice to sector departments supervising Bank-financed operations or similar international institutions; and conducting inspection, independent procurement reviews and audit.
- Proven familiarity with and solid experience procurement, financial management and operations using Multilateral Development Banks Guidelines and with the Bank’s policy and procedures.
- Experience in working in multi-lateral development Banks or similar international development institutions
- Experience in inspecting/auditing private sector operations
- Ability to be flexible, open-minded with integrity, client and results oriented for achieving both Bank’s and Borrowers’ objectives
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skills
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationships with procurement, financial management and sector specialists working in the regions
- Demonstrated ability to mentor less senior staff
- Skills in supervising and effectively managing fiduciary implementation of development projects and programs
- Proven behavioral competencies in the areas of innovation, creativity, communication, integrity, problem solving, team working, relationships and operational Effectiveness
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French and able to work in the second language
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
This position is classified as international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.